We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transferring between Gatwick and Heathrow in October 2013

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Transferring between Gatwick and Heathrow in October 2013

Hello fellow travelers,

My husband and I fly into Gatwick from Nice on Tuesday Oct 15; we land at 12:25. We need to transfer to Heathrow for our next flight that leaves at 17:15 the same day. Both flights are on BA. Both flights are on the same ticket; they aren't separate. Nice to Gatwick we're in Club Europe. Heathrow to Vancouver we're in First Class and depart from Terminal 5.

Will the 5 hour layover be enough time for us to get from Gatwick to Heathrow comfortably? And what will our best (most reliable yet comfortable) form of transportation be on that day (Tues Oct 15, midday)?

Thanks for your tips!

Sheri :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,871 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transferring between Gatwick and Heathrow in October 2013

Five hours should be enough for the transfer; I'd not want any less. Even with a single ticket, keep in mind that you must have collected boarding passes, handed in bags at a bag drop desk, and completed Security no later than 35 minutes before scheduled departure time. If you've not been to T5 before, First check in is at the far end of the terminal building, zone J. There is a quick entrnce to the Galleries just to the right after you go through South Security. BA85 will very likely depart from the B or C satellite terminal as well, so don't spend too long in Galleries First or CCR at the main terminal bullding.

With two travelling, book a car service. Have a look at www.prestigeairportcars.co.uk www.blackberrycars.com www.heathrowtogatwicktaxi.com and www.centralchauffeur.com

London
Level Contributor
10,767 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transferring between Gatwick and Heathrow in October 2013

BA have multiple flights per day from Nice to Heathrow. Why are you booked into Gatwick? Your five hour interval if you stick to this itinerary should be fine, but it seems a lot of hassle and cost which can be avoided if you simply transfer at LHR.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transferring between Gatwick and Heathrow in October 2013

Thanks TravellerPlus, I appreciate the tips!

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transferring between Gatwick and Heathrow in October 2013

Hi rcspeirs; we're flying on BA Avios and they only allocate so many 'reward' seats per flight. We choose to fly only business or first class, and when we booked the flights, last November, all flights arriving and departing from LHR were fully booked for reward flights. Total bummer...trust me, I never would have planned this on purpose! :)

Thanks - happy travels

Sheri

5. Re: Transferring between Gatwick and Heathrow in October 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 05:16