We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for great landscapes? Highlands, NI, or where?

London, England...
6 posts
Save Topic
Where to go for great landscapes? Highlands, NI, or where?

I'm wondering where I can find the best landscapes, be it mountains, lakes, cliffs, etc. In the UK. I have already traveled to Northern Ireland briefly but I am deciding between the Highlands, another trip to NI, or anywhere you recommend. I live in London but I am happy to fly or drive.

Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,050 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for great landscapes? Highlands, NI, or where?

There's a book called "Scotland the Best", by Pete Irvine, which you might find useful...

Best cliffs? - Caithness or Shetland or Moher.

Best Lakes? Lake District. Co Fermanagh.

Best Mountains? Skye; Torridon...

Basically, nowhere has the best of everything. You'll have to travel around and explore. Or read the many many similar posts (usually about 5 per day) on the Scotland forum here for ideas.

Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for great landscapes? Highlands, NI, or where?

The problem is that you will never get any agreement because what is the best is subjective. If we all agreed then the place would be so overrun with visitors that it would soon be destroyed. The biggest mountains are to be found in Scotland and some of the views are pretty breathtaking. Devon and Cornwall have some fantastic coastlines. I would say come to the Yorkshire Dales but then I'm biased. Wales is often neglected - particularly Cardigan Bay and the mountains of its hinterland and so you can find yourself with the place pretty much to yourself.

I am sure that you will get a hundred other people who say that I am quite wrong and that the best is somewhere else. The fun is finding your best - not mine.

Happy hunting!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for great landscapes? Highlands, NI, or where?

As others have said there is no best answer. One possible since you are in London is to look at the easyjet website, take a flight from Luton or Gatwick to Inverness, hire a car at the airport and head west.

London, England...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go for great landscapes? Highlands, NI, or where?

Yorkshire Dales seems nice, don't really know much about it tbh...

London, England...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go for great landscapes? Highlands, NI, or where?

eh?

St. Dogmaels...
Level Contributor
297 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go for great landscapes? Highlands, NI, or where?

Pembrokeshire coast came 2nd in The National Geographic's top 10 coast lines in the world! Love North Pembrokeshire to Ceredigion stretch's more rugged cliffs - like huge dinosaur feet folding into the sea.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,051 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go for great landscapes? Highlands, NI, or where?

Easy enough to head from London out to, the still relatively remote marshes of Essex, on the Blackwater or Dengie peninslas.

Misty, moody, mysterious, marvellous, muddy!

8. Re: Where to go for great landscapes? Highlands, NI, or where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 05:17