We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Misleading advice

Toowoon Bay...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Topic
Misleading advice

On the site for Ffald-y-Brenin, TripAdvisor recommended Lampeter as a close place for hotels. Unfortunately when I booked at the Black Lion Lampeter, I took their advice that this 10 miles away. 2 hours and 50 miles away, we arrived at a very inadequate hotel, and had passed many better hotels and B&Bs on the way. As it was a sunny evening in June, no great issue, but a wet cold night in winter would have been a disaster. Also, if the hotel was delightful, we would have suffered the journey. Unfortunately the hotel was awful, so our journey was wasted. Why did TripAdvisor say it was close? Why did they recommend a hotel which was NBG?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Misleading advice

Tripadvisor has little or no understanding of geography. The maps and locations are frequently wrong. I would never book anywhere solely on a TA recommendation....

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Misleading advice

I've used tripadvisor to choose places to stay and only choose ones with consistently good reviews. The Black Lion in Lampeter has bad reviews on tripadvisor, with only 40% thumbs up: tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g552046-d121…

I also check the location of each hotel, B&B or apartment using googlemaps and other map websites (they're not perfect but they do help) and plan my trips using the "Get Directions" feature.

Sorry you were misled; I hope you have better luck in future.

3. Re: Misleading advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 06:16