We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money to carry with me?

11 posts
Save Topic
How much money to carry with me?

Hi all!

I'll be backpacking the UK (and Ireland) for 3 weeks in August. I'm just wondering how much 'cash' I should carry with me?! I'll be bringing bank cards and credit cards, but don't want shocking statements when I return from my trip, so I'd like to do as much cash as possible. However, I don't want to be carry a load of it.

What's an average amount?

Is it easy to withdraw money from a local bank, while I'm there?

Thanks in advance for your help/comments!

London
Level Contributor
10,340 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money to carry with me?

I completely understand that you want to carefully manage your budget. But I'd suggest you can do that by keeping a little notebook (or something similar) of your spending on cards.

Carrying loads of cash is a mugs game - what happens if you inadvertently leave your purse somewhere...?

Every town (and some villages) will have a bank machine where you an draw out some cash as and when you need it.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money to carry with me?

Make sure you let your bank know where you will be travelling to or they may suspect fraud. You can use cards almost everywhere so will not need more than about £50 cash in your purse.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money to carry with me?

you dont want shocking bank statements when you return - so you are drawing your money out first and carrying it with you. Think about it. Not a sensible plan!!

Have a little cash for coffees and bits and bobs, but use a credit card whenever possible and draw some cash as you need it from ATMs. UK and Ireland use different currencies so dont be caught out there!!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,377 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money to carry with me?

Use a debit card at ATMs for cash, credit card for purchases. You will need a 4 digit PIN number for ATMs and preferably a Chip and PIN card. If you don't have Chip and PIN, you should still be able to make purchases using the old swipe machines

Check to see if your bank has a reciprocal arrangement to waive fees like Bank of America do with Barclays

5. Re: How much money to carry with me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 06:17