We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long will it take me to drive from .... /

Birmingham
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How long will it take me to drive from .... /

Hello, please help me estimate the times here:

1. London - kings's cross to Cadbury World in Birmingham on Sunday morning? (google says 2 hourse - on the highway... but If I can I would take the smaller roads)

2. and the same question - From Cadbury to Manchester Old trafford / Football musesum in Manchester?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,362 Reviews
from US$130.70*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,130 Reviews
from US$139.30*
US$154.80
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$117.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
478 Reviews
from US$348.00*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,530 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long will it take me to drive from .... /

Use the trip planner at www.theaa.com rather than a search engine's estimation. Try www.rac.co.uk to see how their estimation compares with that of the AA.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long will it take me to drive from .... /

Driving to national football museum Manchester is not a good idea as it is right in the city centre so driving and parking very problematic . Come by train . Express trains every 20 minutes from London , 2 hours journey time as opposed to 3 hours plus by road and fares from £25 return

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long will it take me to drive from .... /

Why would you drive and not get a train? Where are you parking your car whilst in London?

FWIW if you took "the smaller roads" it would take all day, that's why they built the motorways.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,988 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long will it take me to drive from .... /

Using Google maps as you have, you can drag the routes around or tick the Avoid Highways box in the options menu. No route planning software is accurate in time as the programs cannot go beyond the distance/speed limit per section of road, junctions or slow moving traffic etc. will add time so put on 15% or 20% and anything quicker becomes a bonus.

As the others have said both points might be better by train but I would guess this is part of a driving tour aiming to get somewhere else?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long will it take me to drive from .... /

You can drive to Birmingham on the M1 or the M40. Its a matter of personal choice but I always go by the M40 because I find it a more pleasant drive. Yes about 2 hours is right. Not sure about other routes.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 11:28
Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Birmingham
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long will it take me to drive from .... /

Thank you all...

I must drive there. we need the car. and We want to be able to rely on our own decisions....

But thank you all!

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,659 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long will it take me to drive from .... /

I agree with joeintheuk, if you come off the motorway the journey time will increase dramatically.

As others have said London to Birmingham will take about 2 hours by M40 motorway.

I drive from Birmingham to London now and again as I have relatives in London, and sometimes I turn off the motorway due to a crash on the motorway or other hold up.

But once you start going on "A" roads (the next level down from motorways) it can take far far longer.

We are a small country and most of our "A" round go through towns and villages and this involves traffic lights, roundabouts, crossroads, city queues, narrow roads and so on.

So turn off the motorway if you like, but I think you will find your journey time will shoot up and you will soon find yourself wanting to turn back on the motorway.

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,281 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long will it take me to drive from .... /

Why not go by train, then hire a car in Manchester. I agree with the others, these journeys are better done by train.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 11:03
Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How long will it take me to drive from .... /

How long will it take me to drive from Houghton Regis Bedfordshire to Turriff Aberdeenshire

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How long will it take me to drive from .... /

How long will it take me to drive from Houghton Regis to Turriff Aberdeenshire