We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car - taking from UK to Ireland and return

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
10 posts
238 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car - taking from UK to Ireland and return

Travelling around UK and Ireland by for 80 days in 2014. Crossing from Holyhead to Dublin and finish in Belfast and then across to CairnRyan or Stranraer. Do rental companies allow the car to be taken across to Ireland and if so I presume that there is an extra cost for doing so. Or do you dump the car at Holyhead - hire another in Ireland and dump it in Belfast and hire again at Cairnryan. I'd prefer to use the same car all the way without the hassle and cost of changing cars.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
10 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rental Car - taking from UK to Ireland and return

I'm learning more about car rental in the UK than Aus. I never knew a lot of this. Avis & Hertz say to contact them for rentals >28 days but they have a phone number only and that will cost as much as a car - I need to get an email address for them. Their web sites are totally oriented to "hire a car online" and nothing else. Re leasing a car - I did this in europe some years ago via peugeot and it was very good. But who does it in the UK. I can do it via Peugot /Renault but I get a left hand drive. I'll be having enough problem poking my wat around without contending with lhd at the same time.

Thank You for all the suggestions.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,594 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rental Car - taking from UK to Ireland and return

Have you heard of Skype? It's good for expensive calls.

But I think you are still thinking this as if you were touring Australia.....arrive, rent a cheap car for 80 days, drive around....return the car.

What people are saying is -

You will be going to at least 2 islands, maybe more, and ferries, etc, can add a lot to the costs;

You will be visiting British cities, only one of which (Glasgow), is remotely friendly to cars; in many cities, a car will be a liability;

Driving around can be tricky due to the congestion, especially in central England (and cities), so you may find it a lot easier using long-distance trains. EG, London to York is 2 hours by train; more than double that by road. Ditto to Manchester. London to Edinburgh is 5 hours by train. A very long and dull day by road.

Of course, you may be wandering round the byeways off the beaten path, and a car is essential. But you may not need it continuously.

So, if you plan carefully, you could REDUCE your desire for the car from 80 days, to, say, 50.

Do the congested parts (or long journeys) by train, say, THEN hire a car and explore the byeways.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
10 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rental Car - taking from UK to Ireland and return

Never thought about skype thanks. The trip is about the ancestral hangouts - ranged from kings to clockmakers to convicts (lot of). So it coversa lot of the backblocks of england wales scotland and ireland. Was not considering driving in the larger cities - staying outside and using public transport - but need to car to traverse to other areas. Spending a week in London beforehand before picking up a car, Trying not to rush it so have time to look and idle around.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,594 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rental Car - taking from UK to Ireland and return

Didn't we send the convicts to Tasmania?

Sounds a good plan. I can't add anything without knowing the hangouts. Some will lend themselves to train travel, others to car.

Many visitors can't imagine moving around a country without a car, as they have never used any other form of transport, but it is quite possible in the UK, even in the wilds of Scotland, to get around easily by train.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,772 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Rental Car - taking from UK to Ireland and return

There is a lot to be said about only renting a car when needed for maybe a couple of weeks a time, the cost of an extended rental could be more than buying and insuring a decent used car then scraping it at the end. a car would add up to £150 to each ferry trip just as a Fare.

For the Ireland leg then info@dooleycarrentals.com is Dooley car hire most companies have a contact form on their web pages..

Also Ireland citizensinformation.ie/en/…renting_a_car.html

If you have any questions the smaller island ask away over on the Ireland forum.

16. Re: Rental Car - taking from UK to Ireland and return

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 05:17