We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy train tickets now or later?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
Buy train tickets now or later?

I'll be travelling from London to Cardiff August/September then back to London with a 1 night stop over on the way at Swindon.

Is it best to buy tickets for these trips now or can I do it when I arrive in London?

For the majority of my stay in London I'll be looking to get a pay as you go Oyster card and loading a 7-day pass on it.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy train tickets now or later?

It will probably be cheaper to buy advance single tickets for each of the 3 legs of your journey now

But double check against the cost an off peak return from London to Cardiff - this would allow you to stop off in Swindon on the return trip and can be bought when you are here - on the day even. (You won't - easily anyway - be able to reserve a seat from Swindon to London with this ticket)

Advance tickets can only be used on the trains booked. Off peak ones on any off peak train

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy train tickets now or later?

Thanks for the suggestion, I had no idea about the off peak options!

I had a look and the off peak would cost 88pounds.

Double checked individual tickets and they will be cheaper so I'll go with them.

I'm leaving myself plenty of time to get between places so I'm not worried about missing trains.

:)

Thanks again.

3. Re: Buy train tickets now or later?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 05:16