We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary february 2014

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
55 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary february 2014

Hello! I´m planning a 10 day tour (approximately) to UK and Ireland for next February with my husband. We´ve been to London already and although we´ll be spending some time in the city, I´m not including it in the 10 day itinerary. I know winter it´s not the best time, but it is what it is: I can´t travel any other time,

I would like to drive but I´m not so sure about this because it would be my first driving left and I´m worried about ice and snow, maybe you can advice. The other possibility is to buy some train or bus pass. I´ve considered taking a guided tour but they´re really pricy and I´m not comfortable with these tours, the only reason I´m considering them is luggage.

I will be very grateful if you can advice me on this trip, including places not to be missed (according to travel time and travel length).

Thank you!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Edinburgh
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Rabbie's
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours
London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary february 2014

I think you may need to be a bit more specific about what you want to do. There are plenty of guide books you can buy. Places to go could include York, Oxford, Bath, the Cotswolds, Lake District...

Snow could be an issue , it might not be. It depends where you would like to go. You can do major cities by public transport but areas in the countryside may need a car.

Bear in mind that if there's snow, public transport will also be affected.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,227 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary february 2014

You're going to have to give us some idea about where you want to go or at least what you want to see or do, otherwise no-one will have any idea what to direct you towards.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
55 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary february 2014

I´m speacially moved by castles and countryside. And I know I want to vist Edinburgh in Scotland and Bath in England. I read about Oxford, Shakespeare County...

Otherwise it´s my first time, that´s why I´m asking for suggestions! Maybe you can advice me about what not to miss. I know there is a lot, but I´m aware it´s not enough time to know it all.

So any suggestion will be welcomed.

Thanks!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary february 2014

If you want to visit mostly cities and towns, the train would be more convenient for you as you will not need to find parking which will be difficult and expensive in larger cities and towns, especially near to hotels.

But if you want to visit smaller towns and the countryside, and especially castles, you will probably need a car. Many of Britain's most historical and beautiful places are quite remote and even if there were train or bus connections, there may only be one service an hour or even one service a day and you will have to spend time worrying about whether you are going to miss your train/connection.

I think if you can get the confidence to drive on the left you will see so much more.

I think it may be easier if you decide which parts of the country you want to see. If you want to go quite far, to visit Scotland for example, the train may be easier as it will be a 7 hour drive from London to Scotland, but on the train it would only take 4.5 hours, and you could even take the sleeper service.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
55 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary february 2014

Thanks goingplaces171 you´ve been very helpful. Do you have any suggestions in which places I should not miss is such short time? Something like the "musts"?

Also, I think I can find confidence for driving on the left, but I´m a little worried about roads in winter! Are they icy?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary february 2014

If 10 days is your total time I dont think you have time to drive round England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Also being February I think I would stick to the cities.

Driving can be bad, 'Are the roads icy' - well, yes if it freezes is the only answer we can give. And we dont know that til it happens. I drove my husband from home to Stansted airport one morning this February, I had the drive from hell, snow, ice, accidents, you name it - we had it, three days later I picked him up and the roads were fine.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary february 2014

You could take a train from London to Edinburgh (stopping in York if interested), spend a few days in Edinburgh, then come back by train (possibly the sleeper). From London you could also visit Oxford and Bath by train or bus. In ten days, I think you don't have time to include Ireland - it would be too much rushing around.

You could spend two nights in York, three nights in Edinburgh, two nights in Oxford and two nights in Bath (or some combination of this). All doable by train. Book train tickets 10-12 weeks in advance for the best prices (advance tickets): www.nationalrail.co.uk and www.scotrail.co.uk for the Caledonian Sleeper from London-Edinburgh/Edinburgh-London.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
55 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itinerary february 2014

Thank you both fuchsiagirlEngland and SuzySey. It´s been very helpful!

Emsworth, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with itinerary february 2014

Hello, if you are intending doing UK and Ireland in 2 weeks, then why not incorporate North Wales and Snowdonia in your plans. You can then get a ferry from Holyhead in Anglesey to Dublin (http://www.irishferries.com). North Wales is beautiful, and now living on the south coast I miss the Welsh mountains very much! Look up www.portmeirion-village.com as a place to stay. Remember that England is probably a lot bigger than you might imagine, as is Ireland. Unfortunately, you cannot predict the weather in England - February could be mild, rainy, winter sun, frost, ice, snow, hail, storms - who knows! We Brits just take pot luck when planning for anything!

Emsworth, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with itinerary february 2014

Forgot to say, roads in North Wales and Snowdonia are particularly good and are well maintained. If travelling on a motorway, stay in the inside lane rather than hog the middle lane as this is not an acceptable thing to do in the UK,and there is now a new law that means you can be fined for it. Another thing to think about if you are going to drive - you can buy a basic British sat nav for less than £100 at larger supermarkets - the cost of which would offset any tour that you might be thinking of. Just get the postcode of where you would like to see, and drive there yourself. Enjoy your holiday