We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Great Britain. We are not experienced travelers and this is daunting fun.

My question is this. We need to be in Heysham to catch the 2:15 ferry to the Isle of Man on October 12. Our plan is to take the train from Glasgow, leaving about 9:00 a.m. and arriving Heysham at 12:54, with 3 train changes fairly close together (20 minutes or so) on the way. How likely are we to make the ferry with that one hour leeway?

I've looked at flying but don't like what I read about Flybe and this plan sounds like lots more fun, if it works.

Thank you for any info.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,308 Reviews
from US$127.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
479 Reviews
from US$106.40*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,100 Reviews
from US$135.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
468 Reviews
from US$337.80*
Level Contributor
11,003 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel

You can do the journey with just one change, at Lancaster. Useful information here.

Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel

I've never had a problem with flybe and I have been on about 30 flights with them (though not to the Isle of Man). What are you worried about? Spending all day traveling by slow train with multiple changes does not sound like much fun to me.

Level Contributor
7,593 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel

What's your priority - seeing something of Great Britain, or getting from Glasgow to the Isle of Man as quickly as possible?

If it's the former then take the train!

I don't know where you got the idea of three changes, as already mentioned it's a single change at Lancaster with a one-hour connection in Lancaster (25 minutes on Sundays). The Lancaster to Heysham train appears to be a dedicated boat train, which means it is quite likely that it will wait if the train from Glasgow is late.

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel

Just a word of warning, the Irish Sea is often rough, if you're not good sailors it would be a good idea to risk Flybe!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,072 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel

Where have you found a rail journey requiring three changes? www.nationalrail.co.uk - the information website for train operating companies - shows a departure from Glasgow Central at 0940 on 12 October with an arrival at Heysham Port at 1254. The Virgin train from Glasgow will arrive at Lancaster at 1137; the train to Heysham Port departs at 1225 for the 29 minute journey to Heysham.

Book now for the Advance fare of £24.50 per person at www.virgintrains.co.uk

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
17,599 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel

If you want to have some fun then go on the train and ferry.

If you want boredom then fly. ;-)

7. Re: Train travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 05:19