We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in the UK

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Christmas in the UK

Hello,

I am looking for somewhere to stay over Christmas (21st - 28th December roughly) for my brother, my friend and I.

We are all Australian and have never had a winter Christmas before so we would like somewhere it is going to snow. We would love to go to Scotland or the Lakes District. We will be picking up a car so that we can drive.

We don't want to stay in any hotels/lodges or anything like that, we would like to stay in a self catering cottage with a fire so that we can cook Christmas day. We also don't want to stay right in the centre of a big town or city, we'd like to be in a nice quiet town, something quaint and pretty but also accessible to other areas by car.

Any help relating to towns or accommodation would be appreciated, thanks!

Courtney

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in the UK

"We are all Australian and have never had a winter Christmas before so we would like somewhere it is going to snow"

That will not necessarily be in the UK.

Snow is certainly not guaranteed and you are often more likely to end up with a wet Xmas than a white one.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in the UK

I'm aware of that, are there any places that tend to snow then over Christmas in the UK? Or have so in the last few years?

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in the UK

I'm not sure that 'never had a winter Christmas', 'somewhere it's going to snow', 'not right in the centre of a town' and 'accessible to other areas by car' are all compatible.

Apart from the fact that snow is far from guaranteed anyway, if there does happen to be any significant amount of wintry weather wherever you happen to be, it will impede your ability to drive anywhere, especially if you're off the beaten track and have no experience of driving in winter conditions.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in the UK

<<We are all Australian and have never had a winter Christmas before so we would like somewhere it is going to snow.>>

Try Austria, Switzerland, the Nordic countries, Northern France .........

<< we would like to stay in a self catering cottage with a fire so that we can cook Christmas day.>>

!!! Are you thinking chicken on a stick? Could be messy. Use the oven.

<<don't want to stay right in the centre of a big town or city, we'd like to be in a nice quiet town, something quaint and pretty but also accessible to other areas by car.>>>

Except if it snows when you'll be stuck :-)

Seriously, for what you describe, UK is the wrong place.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in the UK

(From Wikipedia)

Although most places in the UK has some chance of seeing snow in the winter, it very rarely falls at Christmas (generally in January and February). However it does occur, with an average of seeing a White Christmas every 6 years. From 1950 to 2006, the percentage of years with a white Christmas in the UK was as follows: (Location & probability) -

London 6%

Birmingham 15%

Aberporth 9%

Glasgow 35%

Aberdeen 53%

Belfast 22%

Lerwick 75%

Bradford 14% (since 1971)

St Mawgan 10% (since 1957)

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in the UK

If you stay in the ski resorts in Scotland, you'll probably get some snow: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186535-i625-k56…

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in the UK

Bear in mind when looking at the % chance of a white Christmas above that the definition of 'white Christmas' is anything from one single snowflake being observed falling in the 24 hour Christmas day period, but not making it as far as the ground.

So an actual picture postcard style covering of snow is much more unlikely.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in the UK

"If you stay in the ski resorts in Scotland, you'll probably get some snow: "

You may or may not get some snow.

Realistically you should be looking at a country with a reasonable guarantee of snow rather than anywhere in the UK

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,921 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in the UK

Only 125 days to plan your trip.

Hurry up before it starts snowing for the annual UK snow blizzard that normally lasts for less than 48 hours but causes the whole country to grind to a halt and gives lazy parents an excuse not to send their kids to school, and to take a day or 2 off work themselves! :-/

http://www.xmasclock.com/

Edited: 21 August 2013, 21:24
10. Re: Christmas in the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 05:19