We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK trip in October - London-Scotland

San Francisco...
11 posts
Save Topic
UK trip in October - London-Scotland

Hi, we are flying from San Francisco to London in the first week of October and back out of Edinburgh in a week. I know it is rushed but it is our tenth anniversary and we have to leave our kids to their grandparents, so a week is the maximum amount that we can afford T ask somebody to take care of our kids! We need help regarding where we should go and see in such a limited time.

I just want to have a quick look in London. My husband really wants to do some hiking in Scotland. I am more interested in spending relaxed time, like walking around in the city or smaller towns, enjoying tea and window-shopping. We think we should focus on three cities, London, Edinburgh and Glasgow. I would love to visit some places in Northern England but assume we don't have enough time.

But if you have any suggestions where we should stop by, all advice will be really appreciated. I have never been to UK. My husband visited to London, Cambridge, Oxford and Edinburgh. We are planning to take trains but may rent a car to explore in Scotland.

Thank you very much!

Gustamps
Gift & Speciality Shops
Borough Market
Flea & Street Markets
Albert Dock
Gift & Speciality Shops, Piers & Boardwalks, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Scenic Walking Areas
Camden Market
Flea & Street Markets,
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,885 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK trip in October - London-Scotland

If you have seven days including arrival and departure days that will give you five days on the ground. Not a great deal of time to sightsee. It sounds as if you've booked to fly to London and then return from Edinburgh to SFO.

You should book the train from London King's Cross to Edinburgh Waverley or London Euston to Glasgow Central sharpish since you plan to travel fairly soon. www.eastcoast.co.uk or www.virgintrains.co.uk for the services. If you want to save time, consider the Caledonian Sleeper; see more at www.scotrail.co.uk

You'll need to book accommodation soon, and sort out where you would like to go. If you plan to take a car in Scotland then check travel times for road journeys at www.rac.co.uk or www.theaa.com If you want to travel in Scotland by rail, use www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times and fares.

San Francisco...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: UK trip in October - London-Scotland

Dear TravellerPlus,

Thank you very much for your useful information. We will definitely consider Sleeper and book train tickets and accommodation over this weekend. Would you recommend B and B or Guesthouse instead of hotel? We try to spend less than 100 euros per night.

Thanks again and have a nice day!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK trip in October - London-Scotland

We dont use euros here, its pounds sterling, gool old GBP.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK trip in October - London-Scotland

The currency in England and Scotland is British Pounds, not Euros.

I take it from that your budget is about £85 (roughly €100) per night.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,552 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK trip in October - London-Scotland

For that price you should be able to book some B&B s although London is clearly more expensive than anywhere else. Use the reviews on here for ideas.

http://www.chelseabedbreakfast.com/

This one is well over your stated budget but gets 5 star reviews on here and is in a really nice area.

I think with the number of days you have it will need to be just London and Edinburgh .

Edited: 23 August 2013, 17:08
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,381 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK trip in October - London-Scotland

You won't be spending Euros in the UK, where the currency is pounds sterling.

That's not a very big budget for accommodation, especially in London.

San Francisco...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: UK trip in October - London-Scotland

Of course!! I am very sorry for my stupid mistake!!! When I lived in Germany, I remembered currencies in European countries but since I moved back to the States, it seems that all the knowledge slipped away...so embarrassing!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,552 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK trip in October - London-Scotland

Why do three different people feel the need to tell you that we use GB Pounds and not euros. Surely one would have been enough (if it was expressed politely.) And it happens so often on this site. That's what's really embarrassing !!!

Edited: 23 August 2013, 20:16
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,381 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK trip in October - London-Scotland

Well, for the record, my post involved having the page open, getting distracted for half an hour and failing to refresh before replying, but I didn't think it was impolite and ManiWade didn't seem too offended. And the other two replies were within a couple of minutes of each other and probably cross posted.

Don't let us impede your embarrassment though :)

San Francisco...
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: UK trip in October - London-Scotland

Oh, no, I am not offended at all. It was good that people corrected my mistake otherwise someone else would have when I asked for advice anyway. Like I said, I really appreciate you taking time to comment on my post.

Hardygeranium, thank you very much for your advice/suggestions. I will check out the link after my kids go to sleep tonight :-) I agree that it will be wise to focus on two cities though I wanted to go to Glasgow. A week break from kids/work is a big thing for us, we will try to get as much as possible out of this great opportunity and enjoy our stay in UK.