We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurotunnel - shameful money making

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Eurotunnel - shameful money making

Just wanted to share our Eurotunnel story with you. We booked Eurotunnel for our two week holiday this summer, non-flexible tickets as we had booked accommodation and saw no reason why we would need to change tickets. Sadly, in the second week of our holiday , our 14 year old daughter, who was in the UK, became critically ill and we were told she was dying. Eurotunnel charged us to change our tickets. I imagine they also made money on reselling our crossing at a sold out time on a busy August Saturday. Our daughter died shortly after we got back.

We emailed to say how sad we were at their attitude and how a little kindness would have helped - the operative had also paid so little attention to me calling in a distraught state that she had told me to 'have a nice day'.

It took two weeks to respond, and we have been told we should have booked a flexible ticket and that waiving the charge to us would not be fair to those who had paid for premium crossings.

Eurotunnel are the only company that will have made money from the death of our child. I hope they and their premium customers, who would apparently begrudge us some compassion, are proud of themselves.

They hope we will not be deterred from using them in future. We shall in fact be telling everyone we know to avoid them, convenient though they are, and planning holidays that do not involve cross channel travel.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurotunnel - shameful money making

"We booked Eurotunnel for our two week holiday this summer, non-flexible tickets."

The clue as to why they charged you.

Your travel insurance should cover that cost.

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurotunnel - shameful money making

We know exactly why they charged us, thanks. We're not stupid. They are within their rights, but would a bit of humanity hurt?

It's below our insurance excess.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurotunnel - shameful money making

I'm actually struggling to know how to reply to this post given the circumstances as told by the OP.

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurotunnel - shameful money making

Sorry, no reply needed really. I just needed a bit of a rant and they have no social media presence. I am just furious at them for making our nightmare that bit worse.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurotunnel - shameful money making

So sorry to hear of your young daughter's death. If she became ill and died within such a short space of time, it must have hit you very hard - especially if you had no idea she was even ill. At least you can take comfort in the fact that although you did not take her on holiday with you, she was - I'm sure - being looked after by someone who loved her very much.

Tragic as it is, I have to agree with Williamnt.....I'm sure your travel insurance will compensate you once they have the details of your claim.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurotunnel - shameful money making

I am sure they hear various stories all the time from people looking to change tickets.

I guess they have decided that sticking to the rules is the easiest way to deal with it.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurotunnel - shameful money making

If the cost is below your insurance excess, the sum of money in question can't be that expensive and - in the great scheme of things - I imagine your daughter's death would take enough of your emotional energy.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eurotunnel - shameful money making

well said Pam

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eurotunnel - shameful money making

Actually, when horrible things happen, sometimes the little things are the easiest to focus on. No, it's not much money. It's the fact that we had no choice at such an awful time that makes me cross. It would have taken nothing for Eurotunnel to be nice.

Our daughter had severe disabilities and lived in a residential facility. She was not expected to die, but she had a pre-existing condition.

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eurotunnel - shameful money making

Thanks for the lecture on how to feel when my child dies. I can assure you I am suitably upset.