We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacking/Camping UK ideas?

Rhymney, Wales...
5 posts
Save Topic
Backpacking/Camping UK ideas?

Hi, I was hoping someone/someones might be able to help me out.

I have had this plan for a while now that has never come to fruition and it's about time it did. I really want to travel the UK. I've been outside the UK several times yet never fully experienced my own country.

The plan was/is to grab a tent and a backpack and bus/train it about the country. Further than that there are no concrete plans. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to do this most successfully?

I live in Wales and ideally want to do a UK lap. The rough idea was ferry from Wales to southern Ireland, up to N Ireland... over to glasgow to Edinburgh then down to London area and along the South coast back up to Wales. Is this daft?

Any ideas of costs? Places to stay? Visit? Modes of transport?

Literally any help is greatly received.

Thanks in advance.

Pure Outdoor Ltd.
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Climbing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Day Trips
Go Below Underground Adventures
Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Lochaber Guides - Private Day Tours
Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours, Climbing Tours
Cairngorm Adventure Guides
Hiking & Camping Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Climbing Tours
Rhymney, Wales...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacking/Camping UK ideas?

Oh, there's no specific timeframe for this but length wise is a week to two :)

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,597 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacking/Camping UK ideas?

probably too short a time to fit it all in, why not choose part of it to do this year, and maybe another part next year? Trying to do all that distance in two weeks won't give you any time to enjoy anything.

Rhymney, Wales...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpacking/Camping UK ideas?

I could skip Ireland maybe? Just to stay mainland. How long would you suggest?

4. Re: Backpacking/Camping UK ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 05:18