We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving in uk

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
driving in uk

heading over from Australia to UK in June 2014 for a wedding in Haworth. Will arrive in Manchester airport and need to get to Haworth where I am booked for 4 nights at the OWL. Did intend on leaving for Scotland for a tour after the 4 days but after been told there are so many beautiful places to see in this area I am considering hiring a car and staying a bit longer. Is it best to hire a car from the airport? Are there car hire companies situated just outside the airport? Are the roads well signposted to get through Manchester? would appreciate suggestions of places to visit in the area. thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving in uk

Is it best to hire a car from the airport?

.....It depends on what you mean by "best"?

Are there car hire companies situated just outside the airport?

.... Probably. Does it matter?

Are the roads well signposted to get through Manchester?

.... Yes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving in uk

mmm peterscot .... was hoping for a more positive reply but as you took the time to reply i will explain in more detail hoping that you may be able to help me. If not i will just wait for others posts who may offer a more helpful comment.

By "best" i meant the convenience to just pick up the car at the airport and pay the airport tax included into the car hire price. (i am not sure of the price charged but in OZ they can be quite high)

Yes it may matter as generally car companies near the airport don't include the airport tax on car hire and sometimes you can get a better deal

but thank you for letting me know about the well signposting through Manchester

London
Level Contributor
9,846 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving in uk

Airport fees rarely make much difference to car hire rates in the UK, and airport rates are sometimes cheaper than city centre depots. However, rates can vary enormously (even within the same company from depot to depot) so it's worth shopping around.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving in uk

Getting from Manchester to Haworth is a doddle

Motorway nearly all the way

Basically exit the Airport onto the M56 then M60 then M62 then A629 into Howarth.

There are plenty of signs on the Motorways just follow the signs for LEEDS until you reach junction 24 of the M62

There is a car rental village at Manchester Airport served by a shuttle bus.

manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/…CarRental

Plenty of good drives around Haworth, the Dales, Ingleton, Kirkby Lonsdale, Clitheroe , Skipton, all good trips out.

Edited: 04 September 2013, 07:31
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving in uk

< Getting from Manchester to Haworth is a doddle >

But doing so after a 24 hour plus flight when your body is ready for bed isn't - if not down-right dangerous.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving in uk

thank you for your comment as i will now just hire from the airport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving in uk

your comment is most helpful and much appreciated. Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving in uk

Had in mind to stay a night or two in Manchester before heading out due to the time difference and long flight without much sleep but thanks for the tip.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving in uk

You do not need to go through the centre of Manchester as the motorways skirt the city. If you want to sleep after arriving there are hotels to suit all budgets, starting with reasonably priced Travelodge and Premier Inn on or very close to airport complex.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,282 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: driving in uk

Please have a proper rest before collecting the car - killing yourself or someone else can ruin your holiday