We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Eye for British Airways

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
67 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Black Eye for British Airways

British Airways has refused to reimburse us (wife and I) for expenses we incurred due to their cancellation of our flight. They offered $150 travel voucher each. Our costs are $470.44.

We arrived at LHR at 10AM on May 24, 2013. BA advised that all flights were now canceled until 4PM. That meant our 3PM flight to CPH was canceled. We stood in line at BA Customer Service for ten hours, along with hundreds of others.

Customer Service only opened 4 windows. As the hours crawled by - tempers flared. We got to the window at 8PM. No flights available this day, nor the next day - that would get us to CPH in time for the evening sailing of our cruise ship.

We agreed to an 10AM standby for CPH, and a alternative code share routing that would get us close to the port where the ship would be on the second sailing day. We spent the night wandering Heathrow Airport, and retrieved our checked luggage. Not much sleep. Next morning - no luck at Standby. Rushed to the alternate plan - and flew up to Manchester UK. Then - rushed to another terminal to partner Lufthanza for a flight to Munich Germany. From there, Lufthanza to Hamburg - where we arrived at midnight of May 25 - on a weekend night - without a hotel reservation. Taxied to a hotel (very lucky) and got a few hours sleep. May 26 - off to the train station: took train to Rostock, them S-bahn to Warnemunde. Hurray - that is where our cruise ship was now docked. We made it - No Thanks to British Airways - to whom we had submitted all our documentation. And - to be clear about all this: We are requesting Nothing for the Ten hours we futilely stood in line, for the stress and aggravation, for the no sleep, no food at the Heathrow airport. I think it is shameful that British Airways would subject their customers to such treatment - then, simply dismiss a polite request for reimbursement.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,227 reviews
from US$140.97*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,952 reviews
from US$145.12*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
509 reviews
from US$98.13*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
812 reviews
from US$98.13*
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Eye for British Airways

Your best bet would be to claim on your travel insurance. Airlines don't provide free travel insurance, which is effectively what you asking for by wanting compensation.

( for those whose instinct is to say EU261 this definitely falls into "exceptional circumstances" territory, Heathrow was closed down for several hours)

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Eye for British Airways

you did have travel insurance didn't you?

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Eye for British Airways

This may be of interest.

bottonline.co.uk/latest-news/419-compensatio…

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Eye for British Airways

Mike it won't be of interest at all, as I said in my first post "for those whose instinct is to say EU261 this definitely falls into "exceptional circumstances" territory, Heathrow was closed down for several hours"

The case you referred to isn't this one, and there are no similarities in the cause or the penalties due.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 22:01
Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Eye for British Airways

@ joinintheuk: If you read the bottom para or so of the solicitor's piece it refers to knock-on delays and cancellations. I assume that Wilful, the originator of this thread, was one of those.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 22:07
Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
67 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Black Eye for British Airways

Uhhhhhhhhhhh - Noooooooooo - I have flown for many decades - and never had travel insurance.

Is your point now to be: Well, then - Shame on you?

; Just pulling your chain Annabelle... I know you are an insurance agent. ;-)

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
67 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black Eye for British Airways

Hey Mike - Just went where you referred me - and it looks promising. Will definitely pursue it.

Thanks a lot.

wilful

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
67 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Black Eye for British Airways

UPDATE:

Seeing as how Trip Advisor has kindly made this thread again eligible for "Post your reply", I am doing a copy and paste here, from the Air Travel forum, from my "British Airways Update" posting of Sept 15th. Copy follows:

"British Airways Update

Sep 15, 2013, 7:30 PM

I originally posted on September 5, 2013 in the forums United Kingdom and in Air Travel. Strangely, after several responses to my posting - Trip Advisor removed my original posts - and caused the thread to be unavailable to any further replies. Then - they did restore the original post - but still kept it ineligible for replies. I have not been able to find out why this was done.

Anyway - the original thread was "Black Eye for British Airways", and I now have an update. Here it is:

BA has granted us a travel voucher for their airline for USD600. This is double what they had previously offered, so I think I shall just accept this - rather than continue in my effort for a reimbursement of my direct out of pocket expenses. We have a granddaughter who flies back and forth across the pond a few times every year - so, we will probably just give it to her as a birthday present.

This should mark the end of this saga."

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Black Eye for British Airways

<<This should mark the end of this saga >>

I thought you bought an end to this saga about a week ago, so why bring it up again ?

Edited: 24 September 2013, 01:18
Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
67 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Black Eye for British Airways

The answer to your question is in my first paragraph.