We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London or Southhampton?

Melbourne, Florida...
2 posts
Save Topic
London or Southhampton?

We are planning a trip to the UK (we have not been before) and not sure whether to stay in Southhampton or London. We will be in Ireland for our first stop and then heading to the UK. We do want to make a day trip to the other city we do not stay in. Any recommendations on which city is best to stay in? My husband and I are 30 and enjoy fun bars, love wine vineyards, nightlife, sightseeing, and "walking cities". Appreciate any suggestions!!

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: London or Southhampton?

"Incidentally, England is not particularly blessed with vineyard weather, so there aren't all that many. English wine is very much an acquired taste..."

20 years ago, I'd have agreed with you re the quality. But English winemakers have come on leaps and bounds. But do head for one of the smaller vineyards rather than Denbies if you possibly can - their venture is quite commercial.

Many of those "craft" winemakers have been starting to make great sparkling wines which stand up against champagne. That's not as unlikely as it sounds - parts of South East England share the same geology as the champagne region and with temperatures on the rise, we even have their climate from 50 years ago. Find a decent south facing slope and someone who knows how to make wine - and you're off ! Here's the best example : http://nyetimber.com/

If that sort of thing interests you, you should really check out farm cider too, but that's probably one for another trip...

Mike

12. Re: London or Southhampton?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:17