We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help which UK visitor category I fall under.

Ajman, United Arab...
4 posts
Save Topic
Please help which UK visitor category I fall under.

I am selected for a leadership/Fellowship with an Environmental NGO in UK. I have also received scholarships and funds to attend this 5 days event which is a mandatory part of my fellowship. I applied under general visitor category and got rejected stating that it is specifically prohibited to apply under General Visitor for a study programme and I fail to proof I will leave the country on the proposed date.

Please help because I have confirmed with the NGO who has provided me an invitation letter and they say they do not fall under any educational activity and student visitor is not an option at all. some suggest I apply for business visitor but can anyone guide me what are the implications for applying under a business visitor for such a conference.

1) plz note I am not currently in the same business activity in the country of residence that is uae. I have a business and have a partners visa in UAE. Will that contradict my application

2) My brother is sponsoring me trip so do I have to show my business statements as well. I do not have my business account yet because I just got my visa in June. I also have proof of funds from other organizations.

Please help. Because I had been misguided by a lot of people to apply under general visitor. Even now most of the people are adamant that I should reapply under general visitor. I am very confused.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help which UK visitor category I fall under.

If you say you've been mis-guided already why do you think this forum will be any different. Contact the Uk embassy or Consulate in your home country and take advice from them.

Edited: 06 September 2013, 21:37
Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help which UK visitor category I fall under.

I agree. You need to go to the British Embassy or Consulate in your own country ansd ask them. They are the experts and will be able to tell you.

Ajman, United Arab...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help which UK visitor category I fall under.

Uk embassy has strict rules for not giving any information on how to apply.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help which UK visitor category I fall under.

I am afraid that we are all normal people on here who like to travel, not experts on the inner workings of our government immigration service :o(

Ajman, United Arab...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help which UK visitor category I fall under.

Thats ok. Actually u r right I should strictly consult legal advice. But even legal experts r confused what should be the category. Thanks for ur honest reply

Ajman, United Arab...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help which UK visitor category I fall under.

Uk embassy has strict rules for not giving any information on how to apply.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,431 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help which UK visitor category I fall under.

The type of visa you will need depends on the passport you hold. From what you say, 'i have a partners visa in UAE' it sounds as if you might not hold an Emirati passport.

Contact the NGO with whom you'll work. If they can't suggest how to proceed then contact a *good* travel agent. If they can't help, you'll need to go through an agency for the application process.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help which UK visitor category I fall under.

migrationexpert.co.uk/visa/uk-embassy/united…

9. Re: Please help which UK visitor category I fall under.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:18