We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First-timer in UK, any itinerary suggestion?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
First-timer in UK, any itinerary suggestion?

Hi I plan to backpack in UK next summer for about a month. This will be my first time there and I wonder what a one-month itinerary should be, and what I must see/experience as a tourist. My starting/ending point is Heathrow airport. I already paid attention to visa requirements and budget. Given the chance, I would like to explore Ireland as well.

I have no preference over interest so I can go from history and architecture to food and nature, even football.

I have been looking around the forum for any idea but looks like no one has asked this before (short of picking up a Lonely Planet book). If you could point me to the right direction, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Strawberry Tours - Free Walking Tours London
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Rabbie's
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Mayor's Honorary Guides
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First-timer in UK, any itinerary suggestion?

Picking up a Lonely Planet book and reading it is a good suggestion. At least it will give you some idea of what you want to see.

Level Contributor
3,398 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First-timer in UK, any itinerary suggestion?

Buy a guidebook.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
505 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First-timer in UK, any itinerary suggestion?

Half the fun of travel is the planning.

Get a guide book of UK and make a note of places that interest you.

Then look at a map and plan some sort of route.

we can help you with specific questions at that stage.

It's your holiday, enjoy the whole process

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First-timer in UK, any itinerary suggestion?

Picking up that Lonely Planet book would indeed be the best place for you to start.

There are no must sees or must experiences, there are things that you want to see and experience and things that you don't.

Once you've worked out what those are, you can ask for more specific advice.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First-timer in UK, any itinerary suggestion?

Hi I plan to backpack in UK next summer for about a month.

-----

Can you say what that actually means please? Does that imply you will be staying in hostels? Hitch hiking? Walking through the countryside and camping? Or just that instead of having a suitcase you will have a backpack, which AFAICS doesn't make any difference to your holiday experience.

There are numerous guidebooks, Lonely Planet has been mentioned, I'll mention the Eyewitness Great Britain. Check out both online, and buy whichever appeals.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 08:02
Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First-timer in UK, any itinerary suggestion?

Do you want to see mountains? lakes? coastline?

http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/

Countryside? picturesque villages? Castles?Do you want to see the main tourist destinations (London, York, Edinburgh), or do you want to get off the tourist trail?

I'm assuming you won't have a car. This gives an idea of where you can get to by train:

nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/… (map not to scale - scotland is bigger than that).

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First-timer in UK, any itinerary suggestion?

Forgive me for asking - but why are you spending a month of your life and lots of hard earned cash coming to the UK ? There must be something that inspired you to make such a big decision ? Was it the scenery, the pubs, the cities, the people ?

Read a guidebook. They have preset travel plans for the uninspired. But much better to avoid the tourist hordes at these places and do your own thing - based on what you want to see. That's important - it's about what interests you, not me. I could very happily give you a plan suggesting long distance upland walks interspersed with pub crawls in unspoilt small towns and evenings on the terraces at Third Division football grounds. But much of that may well seem a waste of time to you.

Anyway, have a think...

Mike

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First-timer in UK, any itinerary suggestion?

Third division?? He didn't ask for time travel! :-)

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,503 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First-timer in UK, any itinerary suggestion?

I'd suggest you pick a 2-3 regions of the country and then base yourself centrally for each location and explore. There's a huge variety to then narrow down from. Each big city has its own set of interests, the West County would be high on my list - then you have rural areas like the Cotswolds, the Peaks and the Lakes.

What transport do you expect to use as that really alters your ability to range.If you are on public transport from campsite to campsite then its easy to suggest a walking week along say the Cornwall coast, but less sensible for us to suggest you base yourself near say, Bude and then zip around North Cornwall which requires a car.

Less transport means you want to be better connected which means more time near cities with decent transport essentially.

Really need more data here....

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First-timer in UK, any itinerary suggestion?

Beauchamp - good point. I was either impossibly pessimistic or retrospectively optimistic !

Mike