We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in each city?

Maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How many days in each city?

I am booking my trip to the UK in November. I leave from Boston on November 4th and will be arriving in Manchester at 11 AM on Tuesday the 5th for 1-2 nights. I will be taking the train to Glasgow for a 1-2 nights then taking a bus to Edinburgh for 2-3 nights. From Edinburgh, I will take a plane to Dublin for 2-3 nights.

How many full days should I spend in each city. I am very interested in architecture, castles, old dungeons and mid-evil stuff. I also definatly want to wine and dine and take a few brewery/distillery tours. I like to walk and hike too. I am 25 and also like clubs and dancing.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days in each city?

To experience and enjoy your destinations, you will need at least two days in each.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days in each city?

"I am very interested in architecture, castles, old dungeons and mid-evil stuff."

Well there's none of that in Manchester!

I like the place, but why do you plan on spending 2 days there? Can't possibly be for the National Football Museum or a tour of Old Trafford could it?

P.S. it's spelt "medieval". ;-)

Edited: 20 September 2013, 03:11
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days in each city?

You will get lots of clubs and dancing in Manchester and Glasgow. For your castles etc you need to be looking outside the big cities. Take a trip to North Wales from Manchester for castles or, again from Manchester go to Chester or Shrewsbury for medieval buildings and even what is left of castles. Do a ghost tour in Chester for scary stuff.

If you want 19 th century architecture of fine municipal buildings Manchester has its share. For Tudor, medieval, 18 th century etc go to Chester ( easy by direct train. Two routes to choose from )

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days in each city?

Why just spend your time in cities ? The UK is different to the US in many ways - not least in that, over here, the countryside/villages between cities is very much a favoured destination in its own right.

That's not to say that there aren't great castles etc. in some of our cities. I just think you're limiting yourself rather. It doesn't help that you're trying to fit so much into such a short space of time.

Mike

Maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days in each city?

oh wow, just looked up Chester! It looks beautiful and exactly what I am looking for. How easy is it to get to from Manchester? Would I be better off starting in Liverpool? I am not driving my whole trip, that is why I am focusing on big cities.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 14:20
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5,791 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days in each city?

I've just noticed you land on November 5th - don't know if you're aware of the significance of that date here - it's Bonfire Night marking the discovery of the plan to blow up Parliament by Guy Fawkes & others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonfire_Night

So wherever you end up that night there's likely to be bonfires & fireworks - either domestic or organised - the latter often on public land (eg parks) or sports grounds. Be prepared for some bangs!

I'm going to put some info about getting to Chester in a separate post to follow.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days in each city?

There's an hourly train service from Manchester Piccadilly to Chester.

The train takes about an hour, maybe a bit more.

Check times and fares on www.nationalrail.co.uk

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5,791 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days in each city?

Chester is lovely & well worth a visit in its own right and as a base for your choice of castles in North Wales. You could easily spend a few days in the area - depends on how flexible your plans are!

It is served by direct trains from Manchester & from Liverpool. If you're planning to go there straight from your flight you can use the station at Manchester Airport - if you use the National Rail journey planner you can see there are different routes that offer several trains each hour though all need one change:

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…search

If you wanted to pick up a car at Manchester Airport (though not normally recommended off an overnight transatlantic flight) Chester is within an hour's drive. As a city it is very walkable (and parking is expensive) so perhaps best to use the train to start with.

The train journey from Manchester Airport to the city centre is short (around 20 minutes) and there are numerous direct trains - it would be easy to go there from the airport and have a look round, perhaps staying the night before moving on to Chester.

There's a separate forum for Chester that may give you more ideas & information:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186233-i700-Che…

Have a great trip!

Edited: 20 September 2013, 15:38
Maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days in each city?

Awesome info! thank you all. Would I be better off flying into Manchester and going straight to Chester then back through Manchester and off to Glasgow? Or should I do Manchester, Chester, then up to Glasgow. I hear the Manchester club scene is awesome, so I at least want one night. I might leave Sunday and arrive Monday, giving me one night before the big bonfire night. That sounds really cool. This trip is completely car free for me fyi.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 15:56
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days in each city?

Yes, fly to Manchester, spend time there and then go to Chester.

From Chester you can get the train back to Warrington (Bank Quay railway station) and from there get a direct inter city train to Glasgow, so no need to go back to Manchester.

Look on www.nationalrail.co.uk as advised above.

Pity you won't have time to visit Liverpool - maybe next time. ;-)

Edited: 20 September 2013, 16:04