We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family hostels or other affordable lodging?

Chatham...
Level Contributor
85 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Family hostels or other affordable lodging?

We are planning an England trip next June, 2014. Wondering what the most economical lodging options are for our family of 4 [boys aged 11 and 7]. Hoping to do a home swap in London but wondering about travelling for a week or two to other parts of the island. Thanks!

Essex
Level Contributor
28,183 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family hostels or other affordable lodging?

I suppose it is an Island, but that description does make it sound tiny and cosy....

Not really the case....

Wondering, really, what it is you would like to know...

Travelling to other places than London is always worthwhile if you have the time, IMO. Do you have anywhere particular in mind? Otherwise some guide books about the UK might come in handy for you...

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family hostels or other affordable lodging?

Cheapest would be camping at £10 a night, travelodge basic hotel from £20 a night, self catering holiday cottage from £300 a week.

Doubt you will get a house swap, sure there must be a website for this sort of thing.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,472 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family hostels or other affordable lodging?

Hi Jenny, and welcome,

Have a look at the Youth Hostel Association. Some hostels have family rooms.

http://www.yha.org.uk/

Enjoy your planning

Bob

Chatham...
Level Contributor
85 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family hostels or other affordable lodging?

Thanks so much for ideas. We know where we want to go but needed lodging ideas. When I lived in England with my family 30 years ago and travelled, we stayed in B and Bs, but my family can't afford those at this time.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family hostels or other affordable lodging?

Other ideas:

Student accommodation - rooms range from singles with ensuite to 4 beds with shared bathrooms. Meals may be offered or some are self-catering only.

Hostels (YHA & others) and student accommodation can be found on Trip Advisor under Place> Hotels>Speciality Lodging.

As well as Travelodge (no connection to groups with the same name elsewhere) there are other budget hotel(motel) chains such as Premier Inn (the largest), Innkeeper's Lodge, Ibis, Easy and more. You'd need to check what each offers as a "family room" but they tend to be a double (or larger) bed, a single and a smaller bed - priced by the room rather than per person so could be good value. Quality varies between & within chains so careful reading of reviews may be needed. Some offer "free" breakfast for a child with a paying adult.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family hostels or other affordable lodging?

Many British families hire a large static caravan for a cheap holiday. They are usually available for whole weeks starting on a Saturday and can be in very scenic coastal locations.

One of the cheapest we have found is at Eype House Caravan Park in Dorset - a basic site next to the beach. Their newer "dog-free" caravans are more than adequate for a cheap holiday in a beautiful place.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family hostels or other affordable lodging?

Is this some weird game where we have to guess where you want to go? I don't see how we can recommend any specific property if we have no idea where you want to go.

Chatham...
Level Contributor
85 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family hostels or other affordable lodging?

I was looking more for general ideas that were given above, like youth hostels and travelodge. Very sorry for any confusion!

9. Re: Family hostels or other affordable lodging?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 06:21