We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we avoid driving during early May Bank Holiday?

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
553 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Should we avoid driving during early May Bank Holiday?

Mom and I are trying to figure out our itinerary for late April - early May 2014, and the Bank Holiday falls smack in the middle of it. I've been advised that we wouldn't be too much affected by the holiday if we were in London, but I can't figure out an itinerary that has us in London in the middle of our trip.

If the Bank Holiday weren't a consideration, we'd probably plan to drive between N. Wales and the Peak District on the 2nd or 3rd of May. Could we plan our travel to miss the worst of the traffic, or would we be better off staying in one general location over the holiday weekend? Or is it just not that big of a deal?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,227 reviews
from US$140.97*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,952 reviews
from US$145.12*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
509 reviews
from US$98.13*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
812 reviews
from US$98.13*
london
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we avoid driving during early May Bank Holiday?

the worst times for traffic on Bank Holiday weekends is the Friday afternoon and evening (anywhere from midday onwards) when everyone tries to finish work as early as possible and evacuate, and the following Monday afternoon and evening when they all head back home ... unless of course if it happens that there's particularly good weather on one of the weekend days when people might decide to head to the seaside for the day

I would expect you'd find the A55 into north Wales pretty congested on the Friday, but then you would be heading in the opposite direction ... however once you get in the vicinity of Manchester you could well find yourself joining evacuating Mancunians

so ... I'd say either plan to leave north Wales early on the Friday morning and get to your destination by lunchtime, or leave it until the Saturday

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
553 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we avoid driving during early May Bank Holiday?

Thanks Caz - that helps!

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we avoid driving during early May Bank Holiday?

Unlike the second bank holiday that month, the May Day one is quiter on the roads because schools are not on holiday that week. The weather can also help to reduce traffic volume.

4. Re: Should we avoid driving during early May Bank Holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 September 2013, 08:29
Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
553 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we avoid driving during early May Bank Holiday?

Thanks for that, 1948Mike and irlgeo. I had never heard of Tatton Park, but it looks interesting, and is right on the way. Viamichelin shows a route of A55/M56 from Conwy to Tatton Park to Chester, with a trip time of about 2 1/2 hours. Does that seem reasonable, Irlgeo?

Mike - I assume when you say that "weather can also help reduce traffic volume" you mean that it could be rainy/dreary with not as many travelers on the road. I would expect we may have cool, rainy weather that time of year, but will gardens be in full bloom? Where I live, spring will be but a distant dream in early May, so I'm hoping to see a bit of it in England. :-)

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we avoid driving during early May Bank Holiday?

You can have grey and/or wet weather at any time of year, just as you can have bright, sunny weather. Spring flowers should be in bloom at that time. Another factor tha may mean that roads are less congested than you might expect for that Bank Holiday weekend is that next year Easter is quite late in April.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,815 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we avoid driving during early May Bank Holiday?

< You can have grey and/or wet weather at any time of DAY just as you can have bright, sunny weather. >

Corrected your mistake

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we avoid driving during early May Bank Holiday?

2 and a half hours from Conwy to Tatton Park? The AA Route Planner, which is usually pretty accurate in my experience, gives a time of only 1hr 24mins.

9. Re: Should we avoid driving during early May Bank Holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 September 2013, 08:35
North West England...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we avoid driving during early May Bank Holiday?

Have a look at The AA route planner, you may prefer that to The Via Michelin route planner.

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

You mentioned Chester, if you consider visiting the city, make use of the very good park and ride service that the city operates. The buses drop you off right in the city centre.

http://tinyurl.com/nea7st9