We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to see of UK and Ireland in 2 weeks?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to see of UK and Ireland in 2 weeks?

Hi there!

I'm going to be flying into London on the 2nd of December (Brr... freezing right!?) with my best friend, We are backpacking as budget as we possibely can. We've given ourselves about 2 weeks to explore UK and Ireland.

Could anyone help me with a rough interary? Places that are a must see? We do love taking in all the history we can get, and don't be shy to share the great nightlife spots!

Thank you!! :)

Hannah

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,026 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to see of UK and Ireland in 2 weeks?

So, in your research for this trip, which you have already bought plane tickets for, have you seen anywhere you would like to visit?

I could reel of list of several places I think you might like, but someone else could come along with a list of completely different places!

What accommodation do you plan on staying in?

How do you plan on getting around?

How are you getting from the UK to Ireland?

Edited: 02 October 2013, 01:32
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to see of UK and Ireland in 2 weeks?

All I will say is "Wrap up warm". It will be quite a shock coming from Darwin. I expect you will probably confine yourself to warm cafes and museums.

If you have any interests in the UK and Ireland, can you share them with us, so we can help?

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,677 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to see of UK and Ireland in 2 weeks?

There are no 'places that are a must see'. There are places that you are interested in seeing and places that you aren't.

If you let us know what they might be, that would be a good starting point.

There was some reason why you booked flights to the UK, right?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to see of UK and Ireland in 2 weeks?

Woo! My first reply! Thank you!

I have little knowledge of the sights to see in UK and Ireland - So anything you think is worthy of my time, i would love to hear about! That way i can research it , see if its something i'd be interested in!

I plan on staying in cheap hostels! And on the getting around part, i originally wanted to grab a hire car/wicked van and drive around, especially for Ireland - But I've been researching and most places won't allow you to rent/hire cars unless you're 21 years old ( is that right?), unfortunatley i'm 6 months off 21!! So i figured my next best bet would be to go with buses?? whats your advice on all of that?

UK to Ireland - was looking at taking a cheap flight/or go across on the Ferry??

Cheers

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to see of UK and Ireland in 2 weeks?

I love the sceneary of UK and Ireland, the castles, the lakes, the massive hills and country side! It all interests me. I have long lost family members somewhere in Scotland - My grandparents were born in Edinborough. So I'm hoping to team up with them further down the track! and they can show me around that area!!

I will only have about 2 weeks in UK and Ireland with my friend - as we will be racing around like headless chooks doing a little Eurotrip! But once that's over i will be returning to UK to live - I have a 5 years visa, so i have plenty of time to explore. SO, right now i'm just looking for the best top ten things to do whilst i'm here for the 2 weeks with my friend - basically for her experience, she has the same interests as me! So whatever you reccommend doing in those 2 weeks would be awesome!!

Thanks for helping me out!!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to see of UK and Ireland in 2 weeks?

Hannah, this is rather ridiculous and you need to do some research yourself.

The UK and Ireland would take a lifetime to explore so it isn't possible for us to suggest an itinerary for you and there is no such thing as "must sees" that apply to everyone. We each have our own.

This is your trip and it is up to you to put some effort into researching what is on offer over here. There are plenty of guide books available or internet sites which will give you valuable information. Booking a trip without knowing much about where you are going is beyond my understanding.

You need to split this trip in two halves with TA advice. There are different forums for the UK and Ireland so direct any questions to the right one. You can even split it into specific locations once you know where you would like to visit. i.e London for instance.

The car hire idea is a non starter and you wouldn't be able to afford it anyway by the sounds of it.

Come back to us when you have formulated some kind of itinerary and transport can be discussed then.

Lots of us are here to help you if necessary but we are not paid travel agents and don't devise itineries. Please bear that in mind.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to see of UK and Ireland in 2 weeks?

Having read your last comment I will give you a start with castles. You might not know that the Tower of London is a castle and is worth anyones time. Another one which is a short train ride away from London is Windsor. You can easily read up about these.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,026 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places to see of UK and Ireland in 2 weeks?

I'll start then with - a few days in London, then train up to York, train back down to Manchester/Liverpool/Chester (take your pick!) then train to Holyhead but bought as part of a Sail Rail deal which includes your ferry ticket to Dublin:

http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm

Then back to London via Cardiff/Bristol/Bath.

That should easily fill 2 weeks.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places to see of UK and Ireland in 2 weeks?

Matt has nailed it for you

As above but miss out York and go to Edinburgh as you want to meet your grandparents

Break your train journey from Liverpool of Chester in Llandudno or Conwy

Don't bother with Manchester as Liverpool has more to offer a tourist IMHO

Work with Matts suggestion and get familiarised with it

Try googling Youth Hostels YHA

Premier Inns

www.nationalrail.co.uk

For train times. You can travel quite cheaply by train if you book 12 weeks ahead so you are just in time

Try some dummy bookings

London to Edinburgh

Edinburgh to Liverpool Lime Street

Liverpool to Holyhead

Liverpool to Conwy or Llandudno Junction

Conwy Holyhead

Look up ferry crossings Holyhead to Dublin or Dun Laoghaire

Spend a bit of time with a map to get a feel

For distance and geography . Although places are close together here it can still be a bit of a mission getting around

You can end up zigzagging all over the place

Keep coming back to us plenty of great advice on offer especially if you do a bit of research and give us something to work with you

Never mind the weather it's a great time to come . Very atmospheric , dark

Cold nights perhaps s log fire in a pub some hearty warming meals

Great times ahead

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best places to see of UK and Ireland in 2 weeks?

It's not the best time of year to see countryside - it gets dark by 4pm in December for one thing. Plus the trees have lost their leaves. But on the other hand it's a good time to search out pubs with open fires you can sit next to with a pint.