We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Trainline - actual example of fees

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
The Trainline - actual example of fees

Since people are always talking about booking train tickets here, and since The Trainline is often mentioned by some people as a good place to book, just thought I'd mention my experience today.

Myself and a colleague booked the identical journey.

My tickets £162.00 booked direct on CrossCountry.

His tickets £166.77 consisting of £162 plus £1.50 booking fee plus £3.27 credit card fee.

Now, £4.77 isn't a huge amount in the grand scheme of things but as he and I are both picking our tickets up from a machine, its a pointless spend.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,771 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Trainline - actual example of fees

I agree with you 100%.

And if you buy tickets from that place regularly the unnecessary fees you are paying soon mount up.

That's why I NEVER use the traincon. ;-)

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Trainline - actual example of fees

I always have two windows open on my browser. I do one booking with Southeastern... my local train company and one with Trainline and take both to the point of payment... and then pay for the cheapest. 9 times out of 10 Southeastern is cheapest, but just occasionally Trainline wins.

It's always worth keeping your options open :)

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Trainline - actual example of fees

£4.77 is almost enough to pay for a £5 weekend first upgrade on the Crosscountry site, if available

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,771 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Trainline - actual example of fees

"9 times out of 10 Southeastern is cheapest, but just occasionally Trainline wins"

How?

They use the same train ticket booking system as the Train Operating Companies.

Oxford UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Trainline - actual example of fees

Really helpful comparison, joeintheuk, thank you.

I was required to use The Trainline to book journeys by my previous employer - I booked A LOT of train journeys for people and shudder to think how much money was wasted in fees.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Trainline - actual example of fees

My employer uses an agency that books through thetrainline! I shudder to think how much money that wastes! They don't actually require us to book centrally, so I don't.

I find it hard to believe the admin costs of processing my expense claims (when I'm almost always claiming for meals, local buses/taxis/etc. anyway) outweights the fees charged by the agency + thetrainline.

7. Re: The Trainline - actual example of fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 06:19