We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aberystwyth uni to Portsmouth uni - cheapest way

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Aberystwyth uni to Portsmouth uni - cheapest way

This time next year, I'm planning to be studying at Aberystwyth university in Wales and my girlfriend at Portsmouth univeristy down south. Discovering that I can get a return ticket for a 7 hour journey on the train for £60 didn't satisfy me enough, arrogantly thinking I could do it cheaper and faster. I have considered hitchhiking on trucks or whatever's necessary. What do you recommend as my best mode of travel? (Bearing in mind I dont want to be travelling for longer than 12 hours).

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aberystwyth uni to Portsmouth uni - cheapest way

I won't recommend hitchiking. Only you can decide whether you feel safe doing that.

Young Persons' Railcard / Coachcard will save you a third on rail or National Express.

And you could check out liftshare.com.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Aberystwyth uni to Portsmouth uni - cheapest way

Problem is I will be a student so I will have all most no money, a £60 return is just too much..

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,377 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aberystwyth uni to Portsmouth uni - cheapest way

Whether or not you feel comfortable hitch hiking is up to you.

It's not a good mode of travel to arrive somewhere to a schedule. Sometimes you might get a lift most of the way straight away, others you could be standing around for hours. Not going to be faster than the train, certainly not on a consistent basis.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Aberystwyth uni to Portsmouth uni - cheapest way

Timing is less important, the money is the real issue. If I was to hitchhike from Aberystwyth how would I go about it? Ask truckers in service stations? Or what?

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aberystwyth uni to Portsmouth uni - cheapest way

Don't suppose many truckers are allowed to pick up passengers these days. Also suggest getting a student railcard - or learning to drive! This is not exactly an easy route.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,377 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aberystwyth uni to Portsmouth uni - cheapest way

Would imagine the easiest way to get a lift out of Aberystwyth would be to use University bulletin boards etc to find someone heading in vaguely the right direction.

After that it's all in the lap of the Gods.

You say 'timing is less important' but how often are you planning on doing this? I was assuming you meant to visit for the weekend or something in which case it's quite realistic that you might arrive and it would already be time to be heading back.

Taking the train or actually arranging liftshares in advance with someone going all or at least most of the way are your only realistic alternatives. The latter may well be possible - if you find a student who lives vaguely near Portsmouth and is going home for the weekend, for example, then you could share petrol costs. You won't really know how good the opportunities are for that until you get there though.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aberystwyth uni to Portsmouth uni - cheapest way

Most people travelling on business (and that included truckers) aren't allowed or insured to carry passengers, just something to be aware of!

Can you not share the costs, you going to her one time, and her to you the next time? And you will probably find as a student neither of you has as much "free" time as you think you are going to. There will be lots going on at your respective unis to keep you busy a lot of the weekends. I'm not trying to put a downer on your romance, indeed many romances flourish in this situation, absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that!

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
810 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aberystwyth uni to Portsmouth uni - cheapest way

Ask around when you get there, at my time in Aber I came across a number of people who lived in the Southampton/Portsmouth area. They had cars for going to/from home as opposed to getting the train/bus. Not the shortest of trips either way. Do look at splitting the journey up when booking train tickets rather than one through tickets, Arriva Trains Wales often had deals on along the Aber-Birmingham route.

Holstebro, Denmark
Level Contributor
180 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aberystwyth uni to Portsmouth uni - cheapest way

Hi,

Have you looked at national expess coaches. Not used them for ages but on the website they used to issue 'funfares' London - Manchester rtn was £20!

I used to live in Aberystwyth years ago & travel to London & onwards from there. It was a fraction of the train costs but took 2 hours longer.

Good luck

Janice

10. Re: Aberystwyth uni to Portsmouth uni - cheapest way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 06:19