We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switching trains at Paddington, Kings Cross, and Doncaster

Kearny, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Switching trains at Paddington, Kings Cross, and Doncaster

Hi, I will be taking the HX to PAD, then to Kings Cross, then Doncaster to Hull.

I was wondering if the trains that I am connecting to will either be waiting next to the train on the same platform, or will I have to walk a while to get to the connecting trains.

Thanks!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Switching trains at Paddington, Kings Cross, and Doncaster

You will have a fair walk at Paddington and Kings Cross. Doncaster may be the same or adjacent platform or just crossing the line (stairs or lift)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switching trains at Paddington, Kings Cross, and Doncaster

Hi, I will be taking the HX to PAD, then to Kings Cross, then Doncaster to Hull.

======

Hopefully someone else is paying or you could have gone direct to Kx for 20% the cost and one less change and perhaps 10 minutes more, compared to taking the HEX.

You will have to walk a while for all changes in London, including up some stairs or ramps from the HEX to the tube and then down again (not sure if there are lifts)

The tube is in a completely different location within the station to trains.

Edited: 10 October 2013, 20:50
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Switching trains at Paddington, Kings Cross, and Doncaster

Take the Piccadilly Line direct from Heathrow to Kings Cross, the HEX is too expensive and puts you in the wrong part of London.

There are BTW direct trains to Hull, the change at Doncaster will be simple as it's not that large a station

nationalrail.co.uk/SME/…

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…first

Level Contributor
3,036 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switching trains at Paddington, Kings Cross, and Doncaster

If you're coming from Heathrow, consider taking the tube all the way to Kings Cross. It'll cut out one change. The Heathrow Express is overpriced and inconvenient unless you really need to go to Paddington.

Kings Cross is a big station and it's a long walk from the tube to the train station.

Doncaster too has a number of platforms. Someone who knows it well may have an idea which platform your next train goes from, in relation to your arrival platform. But that could be subject to change. You may have to cross a bridge or underpass to get to another platform.

Kearny, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switching trains at Paddington, Kings Cross, and Doncaster

Thanks for your messages!

So I am seeing if I can get a refund on the tickets I just purchased. If not that is ok, because the tickets are really cheap. (about $25 compared to the direct to hull which is over $100).

If I manage to get a refund, I will catch the tube from heathrow, then from there go to Kings Cross, then Doncaster, and finally Hull.

London
Level Contributor
9,864 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Switching trains at Paddington, Kings Cross, and Doncaster

UK rail tickets are not priced in $, we use £. Where are you buying tickets from? Under £20 for London to Hull would be exceptionally low - wondering what you've bought.

Kearny, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Switching trains at Paddington, Kings Cross, and Doncaster

I know about the currency difference. It's easier for me to think in $ terms since I am in the U.S.

I purchased tickets through eastcoast.co.uk. These are the prices I have seen there, nationalrail.co.uk, and a few other english rail sites.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Switching trains at Paddington, Kings Cross, and Doncaster

<<I know about the currency difference. It's easier for me to think in $ terms since I am in the U.S.>>

Yes, but it's not easier for those people trying to help you!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Switching trains at Paddington, Kings Cross, and Doncaster

How are you getting your tickets? If you are planning to collect them at the station you can't do this at Heathrow as there are no standard ticket machines.

In which case you would have to take the tube to Kings + and collect the tickets there.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Switching trains at Paddington, Kings Cross, and Doncaster

With such a seemingly cheap fare I assume it is one of the special offers related to a specific train(s),. So what are the timings for arrival at Heathrow and trains/connections as this may become important if you have luggage and are a) travelling in the rush hour on the underground and b) walking from one platform to another