We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservation fares with BritRail GB Consecutive Pass

Buenos Aires...
5 posts
Save Topic
Reservation fares with BritRail GB Consecutive Pass

Hi,

I have already purchased the BritRail GB Consecutive Pass for my Holidays in March-14.

Now I would like to reserve a seat /berth to go from Edinburgh to London in the night train (leaving Edinburgh 23:15). Is there any website where I can reserve my seat/berth now? Or the only possibility to do so is in a rail station when I arrive to the UK?

Does anyone know how much is the reservation fee? How much would it be to reserve a seat in a normal train (not night train)?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,864 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservation fares with BritRail GB Consecutive Pass

CAn't you do this via the BritRail site www.britrail.com/tickets-and-reservations ??

Normally reservations are free if you book via the train company. I suggest if you can't do it online via the link above then you need to contact BritRail.

Buenos Aires...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservation fares with BritRail GB Consecutive Pass

Hi RonaldoC, thanks for your quick answer.

I tried with the link you mentioned and it works for normal trains but it does not work for night trains operated by East Cost. I looked in the East Cost web site as you said but I can not find the option for reservations only...

Thanks again!!!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,364 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservation fares with BritRail GB Consecutive Pass

The overnight trains are not operated by East Coast, but by First Scotrail (they are branded 'Caledonian Sleeper').

scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservation fares with BritRail GB Consecutive Pass

You can book sleeper tickets at www.scotrail.co.uk, but you cannot make passholder reservations online anywhere as far as I now.

Try phoning ScotRail, or wait till you can get in person to any major UK station.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,864 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservation fares with BritRail GB Consecutive Pass

I doubt also that you can make any seat or sleeper reservations more than 12 weeks before you intend to travel. Try calling Scotrail as suggested for assistance.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,271 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reservation fares with BritRail GB Consecutive Pass

You cannot make Sleeper reservations until they're opened, which is at most 12 weeks before travel, and quite often less. Because the Sleeper has to run around night engineering works it has a different release date than normal trains.

If you have a standard class BritRail pass, the sleeper supplement is £41.80 for a berth in a 2-berth cabin. You will need to call ScotRail or go to a UK mainline railway station that offers reservations.

Buenos Aires...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Reservation fares with BritRail GB Consecutive Pass

Thank you all for you answers!!! It really helped me in planning my holidays!!!

8. Re: Reservation fares with BritRail GB Consecutive Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 05:18