We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental UK

Qld, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental UK

We are an Australian couple needing to rent a car for 17-20 days in May/June 2014 in England and Ireland. On previous visits, I have found it less disruptive to keep the same vehicle and pay the ferry fee to take it across to Ireland. The price reduction of a longer rental period tends to offset the ferry charge.

I have done some searches and have found that various brokers offer a much cheaper rate than dealing with the better known companies such as Hertz and Avis ($900 compared to $1500). I am a bit nervous about using a broker however, as I don't know which companies are reputable.

Can anyone recommend a reliable broker?

Also, has anyone had experience with taking a car by ferry from Weymouth to Guernsey? Ideally, we would pick up at Manchester and return to Guernsey.

Advice would be very much appreciated.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental UK

I doubt you will be able to return a UK registered hire car in Guernsey. They use a completely different registration system there, so they wouldn't be able to re-hire it. I suspect if it is allowed you would have to pay a drop off fee equivalent to someone taking the car back to Weymouth.

Qld, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental UK

Some of the web sites have allowed a Manchester pickup and Guernsey drop off, but maybe that accounts for the high prices?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental UK

I am really surpirsed that you can find anyone who would let you rent in Manchester and drop off in Guernsey for the reasons Akkarin gives. We took our own car to Jersey for the day from Weymouth, it was fine, but bear in mind that Guernsey has such a great bus system, and is so small, that you dont really need a car there at all. We had one day in Guernsey off a ship and got around fine on the buses.

Qld, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental UK

Ithanks for the advice re buses on Guernsey. I am beginning that we are best to jet the car go in Weymouth.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental UK

Yes, we are a 'car' family! We drive everywhere, we take our car to Ireland three or four times a year, we hired cars on Orkney, Mull and other islands, but on Guernsey we used the bus and were glad we did! It was also very interesting talking to the locals on the bus, everyone was so friendly, something you get on the smaller offshore islands of the British Isles.

6. Re: Car Rental UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 05:19