We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check our itinerary for drive times?

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Check our itinerary for drive times?

I have checked the ViaMichelin and AA route planners for driving times for the following itinerary, but have read that these websites give rather optimistic times.

York to Chatsworth (staying in Pilsley village on the Chatsworth estate) - 1 hour 45 minutes

Chatsworth (Pilsley) to Conwy - about 2 hours 20 minutes

Conwy to Chipping Campden via Shrewsbury - 3 hours 45 minutes

I've read that one should add at least 50% to these drive times. Does this seem right?

I'm mainly wondering about the second and third legs of this itinerary. We'll be driving from Chatsworth to Conwy on Saturday, May 3 (over the Bank Holiday weekend). I've been advised on this forum that we should be able to miss the worst of the holiday traffic by travelling Sat. morning. Would appreciate any thoughts - confirmation or otherwise.

Using the 50% premise, the drive from Conwy to Chipping Campden would be close to 6 hours. Is it really that long? Longer?? We were thinking to stop in Shrewsbury mid-day for a break, but even so, this sounds like a long drive for one day (it wouldn't at home, but believe me - I know the difference between driving in the U.S. and the U.K.!) I'm hoping someone will tell me that it's perfectly reasonable to drive from Conwy to Chipping Campden in a leisurely day :-).

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,056 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Check our itinerary for drive times?

The reason it's advised to add 50% is because there may be unforeseen delays.

No-one knows if you will have these delays on a certain day, 7 months from now.

Yes, traffic is usually heavier on a Friday evening at the start of a holiday, and again at the end of a holiday. Will that affect your roads? Who knows. Allow for the delay and if you get to your destination early, enjoy it.

london
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Check our itinerary for drive times?

agree with peterscot, there's no way you can tell in advance whether you'll need the extra time ... but if you plan for the worst scenario then hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised ... as for Conwy to Chipping Campden, yes you should be able to do this in a leisurely day including a stop for lunch and a look around Shrewsbury (I did north Wales to London recently with a break of about 3 hours to explore Shrewsbury, a bit of a long day but was OK)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Check our itinerary for drive times?

My experience is that route planners tend to the optimistic end of the spectrum of time estimates, particularly if much of the journey is through congested urban areas. Your routes are fairly mixed, so barring major roadworks/accidents I'd expect the journey times to be a bit longer than those predicted, perhaps (say 10-20% depending on how you drive perhaps), but not 50% longer.

I've looked at Google's suggestions for the first two journeys - they come up with more than one suggested route and time estimates in current traffic - those are a bit longer than those you have. I suggest you have a look at their routes as well & see if they're the same suggestions & then if the time estimates are similar.

On the Bank Holiday journey, the weather will be a factor - glorious sunshine will bring out more day trippers than rain so hard to predict traffic volumes.

As the previous posters have said, best to allow for delays & hope to have some time to spare when you get to your destination.

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Check our itinerary for drive times?

Thanks - your replies are helpful. Caz - your description of stopping in Shrewsbury for lunch and a look around is much what we have in mind, so it's good to know that it seems a reasonable day's journey. I'll also have a look at Google Maps and compare the journeys - good idea. We will definitely anticipate the longer time estimates and appreciate it if the trips are shorter.

We are pretty set on this itinerary, and mostly I just wanted to make sure we wouldn't make the mistake of underestimating travel times. As I'll be the driver, I don't want too many days of feeling strung out from driving, and it sounds as though only that last day has the potential to be a long one. Thanks again!

5. Re: Check our itinerary for drive times?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 05:17