We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting Tunbridge Wells

victoria
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visting Tunbridge Wells

Asking for advice we are a mature couple from Australia, travelling in May 2014 wanting to arrive in Tunbridge Wells and hire a car there or near by is this possible? visit Crowborough and Battle

Drive around this area 4 days then head to Cotswolds Dorset and Somerset for another 4 5 days

like to visit small villages and keep off main roads.

Next question is it advisable to book ahead for B/Bs or easy to find them passing thru?

Weather conditions in May

Thanking you for any response Cheers

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visting Tunbridge Wells

Very possible.

I always use Enterprise for car hire (they have an office in nearby Tonbridge or will pick you up) but there will be others.

The Sussex/Kent border is lovely with lots of unspoilt villages - Groombridge, Cowden, Rotherfield, Mayfield etc. Further south you have Dallington, Waldron, Brightling and Chiddingly. Those are the first few that came into my head... Don't forget the many National Trust Gardens, Batemans, Bodiam Castle and the preserved steam railways in the area.

If at the very beginning or very end of May, bear in mind that these are bank Holiday weekends, so best to book in advance. In the middle of the month you can be a little more flexible. Look for pubs with accommodation as well, The Good Pub Guide is a reliable resource in this regard.

Weather ? No one knows. I've been both sun-burnt and crunched through frost in May, in recent years. Come prepared with layers and a raincoat and you'll be fine.

PM me if you need any specific advice.

Mike

England, United...
Level Contributor
11,100 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visting Tunbridge Wells

There is a nice pub in Pembury, only a couple of miles from T Wells, called the Camden Arms. They do pleasant clean, and very reasonably priced accommodation. Have a look an TA for the place.

Not stayed there personally, but friends have and they loved it.

Have a great trip.

Mondial

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
107 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visting Tunbridge Wells

Hi Victoria,

As Mike says, car hire is not a problem, and I also recommend Enterprise. They are a nationwide car rental company, so there shouldn't be a problem with a one-way rental, should you wish to keep the vehicle for your whole trip.

However, it would be cheaper to pick-up and drop-off at the same location. Consider getting some quotes from the car rental companies at your arrival/departure airport. You may even get a discount with your airline, or airmiles/points club if you have one.

A SatNav would be very useful to you for getting from A to B, finding B&B's, planning routes and seeing the route ahead, but I still like to use good maps when touring, or you may miss some of the most charming villages and countryside views.

Regarding B&B's, it depends how flexible you are. Tourist Information centres are available in most town's in the areas that you are visiting, and they maintain lists of local B&B's and their last-minute availability. If you are looking for B&B's during the two public holidays in May (the weekends before May 5th & 26th 2014), then it is worth booking them in advance.

http://www.touristinformationcentres.com/

You can find B&B's en-route too, and then your plans are more flexible, but you may spend considerable time locating one with availability if May turns out to be a scorcher. My advice would be to find your first and last B&B's and then play it by ear.

Weather wise, I agree with Mike, bring layers, waterproofs and good walking wear.

While in Tunbridge Wells don't forget to visit the Pantiles, and drive a round route visiting Lamberhurst, Goudhurst, Sissinghurst, Hawkhurst, Ticehurst, Wadhurst and back to Tunbridge Wells.

While in Battle, seek out Yesterday's World, which is a fascinating trip down memory lane.

http://www.yesterdaysworld.co.uk/battle/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g503755-…

The Cotswolds is a beautiful area, spreading across 6 counties with so much to see and do. I would recommend identifying a few places that are of specific interest to you to visit, then see what takes your fancy en-route between and around those places.

While touring Somerset and Dorset, consider crossing the border into Wiltshire too for some beautiful and historic towns and villages. I recommend doing the same as above: have a few specific places to visit, then find cross country routes and off-the-beaten-path routes between them.

Let us know what you enjoy most and we can make some recommendations, such as historic homes, gardens, thatched villages, arts and crafts, antiques, quaint tea rooms, moorland, landscapes, seascapes, Jurassic coastline, walking or just driving.

victoria
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visting Tunbridge Wells

Good Day since my last topic I have had to put plans on hold,My partner and I are coming off a cruise staying in London Hotel St Ermins Caxton Street 23/5 to 25/5 2014 which falls on a Sunday think this is a Bank Holiday.

We were planning on hiring a car in outer London as we are of mature age and not confident in driving from London, as family history research involves areas of Sutton Surrey , sussex Kent thought we may be able to get public transport there stay overnight then make our way to Crowborough and hire a car at Turnbridge Wells then make our way to colt wolds ,Somerset Dorset ,Wiltshire have until 8th June then would have to be near Heathrow for flight to Aust on9th.

How would you plan this please. Thanking all

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visting Tunbridge Wells

Here's what to do - take a train to Tunbridge Wells and hire a car from there. Crowborough station is distant from the town. TW Has lots of car hire options, although I'd just stick with Enterprise.

Do your Cotswolds trip in the same car. Arrange to drop it off at the airport.

Mike

Edited: 28 January 2014, 11:44
6. Re: Visting Tunbridge Wells

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 05:16