We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gate 1 Affordable Britain

Connecticut
Level Contributor
23 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Gate 1 Affordable Britain

My wife and I just returned from a nine night tour with Gate1 Travel. the tour was the Affordable Britain tour which started and ended in London.

We spent the first two and last nights in London at the Melia White House hotel near Regents park. The hotel is in a great location near three Tube stops and several bus routes. Lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. The hotel is beautifully maintained although the rooms are very small and basically accommodate a king size bed and desk.

The tour covers many of the major sights in Britain including Stonehenge, Stratford, The lake District and Cotswolds, Cambridge, Chester, York (our favorite Cathedral) and Edinburgh.

All hotels were comfortable, clean and enjoyable. The tour manager, Ann was outstanding. We have taken many tours in Europe (including several from Gate 1) and Ann was one of the best we ever encountered. She was knowledgeable, friendly, and incredibly well organized. The trip went off without a hitch and she was always there to answer questions, guide us and inform us about places to see and restaurants to visit. We could not have asked for anything more.

The price for the package is unbeatable and almost all sightseeing is included. Only one optional tour, at extra cost, was offered and no others were needed. The tour was that inclusive. We have no reservation recommending this tour.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gate 1 Affordable Britain

Did you have any chance to get off the bus at all? This is impossible without many many hours of (mostly boring) driving. I am glad you had a good time and a fabulous guide, but it does not sound like a route that most people would recommend. You must have set a pounding pace!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
23 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gate 1 Affordable Britain

We had several stops each day which lasted anywhere from two to four hours in the various places we visited. I felt that the time spent in the various cities was sufficient to satisfy my basic curiosity. Of course some of the cities could use two days but that was not possible for us on this visit to the UK. When you take a bus tour you realize that some amount of time is spent on a bus! I feel this was a great way to get an overview of the country. We spent a week in London, on our own, prior to the tour and had a great visit.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
112 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gate 1 Affordable Britain

We are considering this trip for the fall 2014. How was the weather? How were the lunch stops on travel days?

We've done 2 other Gate 1 tours so are familiar (and very pleased) with them.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gate 1 Affordable Britain

The weather last year has no relevance to the weather this year.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gate 1 Affordable Britain

I imagine the weather was variable and subject to rapid changes - I expect the weather this year will be similar. This is the UK, - off-shore islands subject to several maritime weather systems, not the middle of a continenet with stable (and boring) identical weather day after day and year after year

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gate 1 Affordable Britain

We are considering this trip for the fall 2014. How was the weather?

=======

LOL. If only weather was that repetitive ! Though perhaps better its not or we might be stuck with last years non summer.

7. Re: Gate 1 Affordable Britain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 06:18