We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving times

sydney,australia
2 posts
Save Topic
driving times

we are driving from manchester to york and then from york to london and i was wondering if anyone could give me an idea on time the trips might take.thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving times

Hi alfam

Manchester to York - city centre to city centre is approx 70 miles so around an hour and a half.

York to London is a bit trickier - centre to centre (Centre of London taken as Wesminster say) is Just over 200 miles so you are 4 hours+ but a this will vary depending on where in London you wish to get too!

Have a look at www.theaa.com/travelwatch/planner_main.jsp…

You can plot routes from hotel to hotel if you know the postcodes etc.

The above times can vary wildly (generally upwards though) depending on time of travel. The M1 being heavily busy through out most of the day on weekdays and chronic during peak times.

Maybe consider rail - you can book fares quite easily online and advance fares can be very competitive - especially if you travel after 09:30am weekdays or weekends.

And you get to go from city centre to city centre with out so much battling with commuter traffic. Also get good countryside views along the way.

www.nationalrail.co.uk

Have good trip!

sydney,australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: driving times

thanks for the help cornish pastie will look into the train trips I think

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving times

Take the A1 instead ofthe M1 from York. it is a nicer drive some motorway and some dual carriageway. It is only 5 miles longer but less crowded and easier to find somewhere other than a service station to stop.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving times

I agree. There are less roadworks on the A1 at the moment as well, and when accidents happen they tend to be less serious in terms of hold-ups as the road is (for the most part) not "contained" between junctions

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving times

Manchester to York could take you a week as there are major roadworks on the M62; according to the AA Trip Planner ( which I no longer trust) it takes 1:30 hours, though this is probably in the middle of the night when there's no traffic so assume it to take at least two hours and if you are there faster call yourself lucky!

York to London: I would take the M1 ( I prefer it as it's less congested) though you do run the risk of being stuck if something is wrong on the road; whichever you choose, take a good map with you just in case you have to use an alternate route.

The trip from York to London takes about 3:30 to where the M1/A1 join together, from there it depends on where you are going.

6. Re: driving times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 04:19