We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

Hello all. Could you please educate me on the tipping customs in the UK. A bit of backround is in order. I am a frequent poster on the Las Vegas forum and lately we have been having some nice folks from the UK getting into friendly disagreements over the tipping customs in the USA so I am reaching out to a different audience to get some additional information. Thank you in advance for any feedback you provide.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Tipping

I do tip porters and round up cab fares but I only tip in a restaurant if the service is good as I think the waiter deserves recognition if he or she has recommended a particular dish or wine that we've enjoyed and has generally made us feel welcome.

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Tipping

I disagree with 18. VAT is far simpler in the UK than the US, it doesn't need displaying as you wont see VAT free prices in the vast majority of circumstances and given the retailer doesn't keep the VAT, I don't see why it should affect your tipping approach

Chester
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Tipping

Hi GEJP,

when VAT was introduced to the general public on restaurant meals the government sold it to us as a way of increasing the basic pay of restaurant staff. As explained to me at the time the restaurant owner would charge us VAT on the total cost of the meal including drinks and they could off set the VAT against the cost of the food and staff. So in theory pay their staff a higher wage instead of paying the full amount of VAT.

I not sure if this happened but all I know is my meal cost more.

But in answer to the original question, Tip or not is down to you, we have a basic wage ( which is not enough) so a restaurant worker or shop worker should be earning about the same.

Don't start me on taxi driver who take the longer route because they think you are new in town and then expect a tip!!!

Keith.

24. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 November 2013, 02:05
25. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 06:19