We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is London really worth visiting?

Sydney
Level Contributor
8 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Is London really worth visiting?

I'm travelling to Europe in April next year and planning to visit four cities in around 21 days. Originally I was planning of including London, although now I'm not sure whether I'll bother. It's one of those places I feel I should go although I'm not quite sure why.

On the list so far are Paris, Barcelona and Rome. London is competing with Berlin or Florence at the moment.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,856 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

Books, google, including Streetview & Imagesearch can tell you what there is in London.

http://www.visitlondon.com/

http://www.timeout.com/london

It *is* one of the great cities of the world - 8 million people. Thousands of restaurants with every cuisine you can imagine, free museums, 50 theatres just in the West End, and many more elsewhere, with plays & musicals, the best preserved 1000 year old Norman castle (the Tower of London), art galleries (if you like them; I don't), architecture; enough to keep you busy for weeks. Only you can decide how that competes with the other places on your shortlist which all have their different characters.

Don't be tempted to visit too many places though.. better to do fewer for longer I think.

I could also point out that yoru trip is very city-base. You might like to think about doing just a couple of cities, and spending some of the time in some countryside. You could go into the Alps, or somewhere in Englnad..

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

Sludgy - why would anyone bother selling it? We don't get a cut from tourist dollars spent here (and I note you're not planning on spending many) we're just here to offer advice (on a voluntary basis) to those who do plan on coming. Sorry to break it to you mate, but Sludgy not coming to London will not trigger an outbreak of national mourning overe here, so if you're "CBA" about the whole thing, go somewhere else.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,310 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

Skip Barcelona, massively overrated place: if you must go to Spain go somewhere like Sevilla or Madrid.

Sevilla is a largely undicovered gem - and Granada and Cordoba are only a short train ride away.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
820 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

Just curious really.

So if 500 people say 'yes it's worth coming' and 498 say 'no', how will that affect your decision?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

"London is competing with Berlin or Florence at the moment."

Berlin is cheaper and less-crowded than London.

Why did you choose Barcelona?

I'd skip Barcelona and do Berlin instead, and I'd definitely do London. There's a few "Walkabout" bars in London if you get homesick! ;-)

16. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 November 2013, 15:35
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

Seriously, you need to sit down and do some quiet reading instead of asking a question like this.

If anyone from the UK asked a question like this on the Sydney forum, they too will get similar responses. With all due respects, I think you got off lightly.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,369 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

Nothing to see here people. Move along.....

Apart from 2,000 years of history, some world class theatres, restaurants, museums and shops, iconic buildings, breath-taking walks, one of the best public transport networks in the world, fantastic pubs, best football league in the world (real football, not that 'no-holds barred stuff).

And some of the most happy, welcoming people on Earth ;-)

And we speak the same language.

I love Florence and Berlin, but they don't come close to London in terms of things to see and do

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

^^^ Well said that man

20. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 November 2013, 15:35