We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is London really worth visiting?

Sydney
Level Contributor
8 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Is London really worth visiting?

I'm travelling to Europe in April next year and planning to visit four cities in around 21 days. Originally I was planning of including London, although now I'm not sure whether I'll bother. It's one of those places I feel I should go although I'm not quite sure why.

On the list so far are Paris, Barcelona and Rome. London is competing with Berlin or Florence at the moment.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

Guilbert - what a great way of classifying the different elements of a London visit.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,236 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

Good post Guilbert, lets hhope that Sludgy is still watching

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

Thanks a lot, glad you liked it.

I thought of a few more.

A theatre London - There are probably 30 or more large theatres in central London showing all the top shows, with probably dozens of smaller and fringe theatres all over the city.

A Religious London - Westminster Abbey, St Pauls Cathedral, many churches designed by Wren, plus many other places of religious worship from all sorts of religions.

A Comedy London - lots of comedy clubs all over London.

A Sport London - many football (soccer) clubs in and around London, as well as probably every other sport you can think of.

A Literary London - Charles Dickens, Shakespeare, the Bloomsbury Group and many many more.

A crime London - Jack the Ripper, Sherlock Holmes and so on.

A Secret London - all sorts of secret buildings and hidden places, closed down railway stations, statues, secret gardens, lost rivers, and much much more. This web site will give you an idea of some of them:

http://www.secret-london.co.uk/

Sorry to go on, but the city was formed about 2,000 years ago, mainly by the Romans, and it has grown and developed and changed ever since.

You certainly wont be bored here.

Edited: 19 November 2013, 11:05
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,837 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

Doctor Johnson said 'the man who is tired of London is tired of life'.

On the other hand, Cobbett called it the Great Wen (a wen is a goitre).

Cobbett is one of my heroes, but I still like to visit the old pile occasionally, there really is something for everyone. Don't forget that is was the centre of a huge empire for more than 100 years - and empires involve a lot of nicking (for example, just look at the amount of fabulous art in Vienna): and the city was also a magnet for artists, musicians and intellectuals from all over Europe, many of whom left some trace of their visit.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

I would like to say that don't miss an opportunity, if you are getting a chance to visit London, as it is one of the major and beautiful city in the world to explore.

england
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

When we visited Australia we chose not to go to Sydney because cities aren't really our thing and we didn't think there was much there that would appeal to us. But if I'd wanted to check on that I would have explained what did interest us and asked whether our planned places were the best we could fit in. As it is we have no guidance, other than the places you have chosen to include, on what you want from your trip. Therefore its only possible to say in general terms what London can offer, and you can get that from a quick net search.

Since I lived there for years I'd say what appealed to me was the theatre - can be brilliant - the amazing choice of places to eat, the green centre, the tolerant and cosmopolitan people, great free museums and art galleries, the good public transport. I didn't like the noise, the traffic fumes, the queues, the expense of living there (although cheaper than many cities). It's a place for young people with money. Far too many of them were Australian in Earls Court, there are jokes about it.....

. I haven't visited all the places on your list but I doubt Berlin or Barcelona have half as much to offer most people. Paris - well we found it hard to get decent food inexpensively and one visit was enough. A single visit just scratches the surface of London.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

"They say when a man is tired of London he's tired of life. Though in my experience he just moves to Brighton." (John Donnelly, 'Bone')

Mike

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

Must see destinations are recommended as below:

1) Buckingham Palace

2) London Dungeon

3) The London Eye

4) Piccadilly Circus

==============================

See this is why it helps to be given at least a clue about a persons interests. Of the 4 'must see's' listed above I wouldn't bother with 3 of them, even if they were free to enter and at the end of my street.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,574 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

@Guilbert53, love the Secret London link you posted! (especially the theme regarding signs) I also like your breakdowns of touring London by theme. I see in the Top Questions category on the London forum there are itinerary suggestions, but some of yours are a bit different and might make an interesting addition.

Pam

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Is London really worth visiting?

I feel highly honoured that you wish to be in London at the same time as me but sorry I can't make it in April!

Solves your problem.

This post of yours all round was bound to ruffle feathers and you should see that. Would you like it if I or anyone else had posted something similar on the Sydney forum? I very much doubt it.