We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in London, travelling to the airport and back

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 days in London, travelling to the airport and back

Hi guys,

I am trying to save some money, could I get some tips on what I've thought through below?

Day 1

Buy Oyster card - top up with say 50 pounds

Buy 1 day travel card onpeak Zones 1-6 (to get 2-for-1 offer on attractions), use it to get from Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 to Loughborough

Go see the paid attractions on this day - London Eye, Tower of London and Thames Cruise on first day

Day 2

Use Oyster card to London centre and back

Day 3

Use Oyster card to London centre and back

Day 4

Use Oyster card to London centre

Use Oyster card to Gatwick Airport?

Refund Oyster card

Would there be any problems with this?

Thanks

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,289 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in London, travelling to the airport and back

Loughborough, in Leicestershire?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,056 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in London, travelling to the airport and back

'Use Oyster card to Gatwick Airport? Refund Oyster card Would there be any problems with this?' Gatwick is outside the TfL zones, and Oyster cannot be used to travel from central London; you will need to buy a separate rail ticket for this trip.

'Buy 1 day travel card onpeak Zones 1-6 (to get 2-for-1 offer on attractions), use it to get from Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 to Loughborough' Another problem here. Loughborough is in Leicestershire, not in London, and again well beyond the TfL zones.

Travelcards for use with the two for one offers must be purchased at National Rail stations, of which there are none at Heathrow airport. You also say 'I' throughout your post, but two or more travellers must use the two for one offers.

Start again. When will you be in London: next week, next year, what dates? Have you booked to stay in the city or are you travelling to Loughborough, 90 minutes by train from London St Pancras station? If you're not staying in Loughborough then where in London have you booked to stay? Will you travel with another person? At what time of day and on what day of the week does your flight depart from Gatwick, and will your starting point be London or Loughborough?

Let us know more, please.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in London, travelling to the airport and back

Sorry, I meant Loughborough Junction.

I will be in London starting from Sunday onwards. The reason I am using Loughborough Junction, is because I am renting a place in Brixton/Herne Hill.

Yes, I will be travelling with 3 other persons, so am hoping to use the 2-4-1 offers twice, each with valid travel card or paper ticket.

I will be arriving at 6:30am at Heathrow, going straight to Loughborough Junction.

On departure, I will be leaving from Brixton/Herne Hill around say 4pm, for a flight at 7:40pm at Gatwick Airport...

Overall I will be staying for 4 days and 3 nights (leaving 4th Dec) and will spend majority of time in the centre of London, only going back to Brixton to sleep

Thanks guys (complete newbie here if you didn't notice)

Edited: 28 November 2013, 04:14
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,056 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in London, travelling to the airport and back

Thank you.

As above, there is no National Rail station at Heathrow. You may use PAYG on Oyster for the trip from LHR to Victoria where you may buy a paper Travelcard for zones 1 and 2 and from there take the Victoria line to Brixton. You may also take the Underground from LHR to Blackfriars, which like Victoria has NR ticketing facilities, and then a NR train from there to Loughborough Junction, a seven minute journey. The NR ticket office at Blackfriars station is closed at weekends, but there are ticket machines where you may buy the necessary paper Travelcards: nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_BFR/plan.html The NR ticket office at Victoria is open 24h a day every day.

You may use PAYG on Oyster on departure day to travel from Loughborough Junction to Blackfriars for a First Capital Connect train to Gatwick. Fare for that journey will be £10 per person. There are trains from Blackfriars at 05, 20, 35 and 50 minutes past the hour, with travel time 35 minutes. You would be wise to leave central London no later than 1600 as otherwise you will join the crush of commuters making their way from the city, not the most desirable way to travel for you and your friends or for others.

Ensure you leave sufficient time to return the Oyster cards at Blackfriars Underground ticket office on departure day. Given your plans, £30 of PAYG money may be sufficient for your needs; if you need to add a couple of pounds it's easily done at Tube ticket machines.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in London, travelling to the airport and back

Thanks TravellerPlus, I printed out your post and am going to use it as my guide on my trip to London.

You have saved me a great deal of stress, only wished I had come earlier! Massive thanks!

London
Level Contributor
10,214 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in London, travelling to the airport and back

Your post is a great demonstration of why we recommend visitors to London should never shorten street or station names....

7. Re: 4 days in London, travelling to the airport and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 05:17