We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Paris to Portsmouth

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Paris to Portsmouth

Looking for group travel from Paris to Portsmouth via train. I assume we would have to travel from Paris to London (St Pancras) via Eurostar, and then transfer to a different train to get to Portsmouth (Harbour?). My problem is finding trains from London to Portsmouth. This will be a large group so I'm trying to keep transfers simple.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Paris to Portsmouth

There are plenty of trains from London Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour. Shouldn't be difficult at all booking a group on one of the many trains that run daily between the two places.

What might be a hassle is the switch between St Pancras and Waterloo. How big is the group and what amount of luggage will they have?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Paris to Portsmouth

Quite a bit -- it will be a band. Are there any trains from St Pancras to Portsmouth. Another option would be coach bus. Right now trying to price out costs and look for feasibility of routing. Travel is not taking place until the end of May.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Paris to Portsmouth

No direct trains. You would still have to switch, for example, from St Pancras to London Bridge, then London Bridge to Waterloo East then walk over to Waterloo. Or take the tube, but that isn't direct either, involving a switch at Green Park.

How big is the band? Do they have luggage plus trombones and cellos and all that? You could hire a coach direct to Portsmouth for about £600.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,257 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Paris to Portsmouth

Crossing London by tube with luggage and a lot of instruments would be interesting (for others) if not enjoyable for you. Hiring a coach is certainly worth investigating and I would look to price the journey from Paris directly to Portsmouth by coach and ferry which would mean you wouldn't need to come to London.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,115 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Paris to Portsmouth

Maybe, if you "reverse" some of the details, this thread will help....

tripadvisor.co.uk/…38073359

You can take a train from Paris to "various"ports on the Northern coast of France, eg Caen/Ouistreham, Le Havre, St Malo...

Then ferry to Portsmouth...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Paris to Portsmouth

Thanks for everyone's advice. Looking at a 50 piece band with luggage, uniforms, and instruments to boot! It sounds like a coach bus and rental truck will be the way to go. Does anyone have suggestions for charter bus companies and truck rentals?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,572 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Paris to Portsmouth

Try the Paris forum

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Paris to Portsmouth

Most coaches have a very large space for luggage but I guess it depends on the size of the instruments - some can also tow trailers - you would be best to ask the coach company first before hiring another vehicle.

You don't say whether you will be returning to France. If you are not, and are staying in the UK, then you may find it easier to use a UK coach company for communications purposes - if you are not returning to France, the coach will have to do one leg of its journey empty (either from P'smouth back to its base in Paris, or from P'smouth to collect you in Paris and back to its base in the UK) so the cost should not be much different.

So, if you'll be staying in the UK, try asking also in the P'smouth forum; otherwise this is a well-known company, but possibly not cheap

http://www.shearings.com/private-hire

There are bad reports on this forum about Momentum Coach Hire, who appear to be just a broker.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Paris to Portsmouth

Great, thanks much for the info. No, we will not be traveling back to Paris. Plan would be to travel from Portsmouth back to London/Heathrow to fly back to the USA. I'll get estimates on out cubes to see if a trailer will work as well. Last year in Paris we hired a truck through the charter bus company when we transfered from the station to billeting, which we will do again this year. Similar course of action might work in London as well. If my maps are correct it looks like about 1:15-1:30 drive from London to Portsmouth?

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Paris to Portsmouth

Allow 2 hours at least - coaches have a lower speed limit than cars, and traffic could make any time estimate a "best guess".