We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tax refund: London > Paris> Rome

Hk
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Tax refund: London > Paris> Rome

If I am not EU resident and I am traveling from London to Paris by Eurostar and then later to Rome by flight and leaving Rome out to nonEU country at fiumicino Rome airport, how should I apply for tax refund if I bought things from London or Paris or Rome?

Pls advise. Many thanks

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,075 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tax refund: London > Paris> Rome

hmrc.gov.uk/vat/…overseas-visitors.htm

You won't be able to reclaim VAT until you leave Rome - and then only on unused items you have with you

But you'll need to ask in the Paris and Rome forums for Paris & Rome VAT claim rules

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tax refund: London > Paris> Rome

You must keep all your receipts and, as Alanrow says, items cannot have been used. Irrespective of where in the EU bought the goods, you can only claim at your point of departure from the EU, which in your case will be Fiumicino Airport, Rome. There should be a desk in the airport for that purpose.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tax refund: London > Paris> Rome

Not just "keep the receipts" - you must make sure you get the official VAT refund form from the store at the time of purchase.

Points to note:

The forms get stamped by Customs Officials at your point of departure from the European Union, regardless of which country you bought the goods in originally.

The goods must be UNUSED at the point of departure, and you must be prepared to show them to the Customs Official - so if they are going in your checked luggage, you get the forms stamped BEFORE bag drop/security.

Not all retailers participate, and of those that do not all shop assistants are as clued up as they should be, so make sure YOU know what you need to do!

Edited: 07 December 2013, 07:26
Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tax refund: London > Paris> Rome

Hi there,

I hope you can assist me solving the queries below:

I will be traveling to Milan, Italy on June 2014. I will did shopping for some branded good in Milan.

From Milan, i will be traveling to Venice by Train.

From Venice i will be flying off to Paris, France.I will did some shopping at Paris as well.

From Paris, i will flying to Glasgow, Scotland. Glasgow will be my final stop.

My question as per below:

If i buy goods in Milan, Italy, where can i get the customs stamps. Where can i get the refund?

If i buy goods in Paris, France , where can i get the customs stamps. Where can i get the refund?

Where is the final stop for me to obtain my tax refund?

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tax refund: London > Paris> Rome

Hi there,

I hope you can assist me solving the queries below:

I will be traveling to Milan, Italy on June 2014. I will did shopping for some branded good in Milan.

From Milan, i will be traveling to Venice by Train.

From Venice i will be flying off to Paris, France.I will did some shopping at Paris as well.

From Paris, i will flying to Glasgow, Scotland. Glasgow will be my final stop. and i will be flying back to Malaysia after that.

My question as per below:

If i buy goods in Milan, Italy, where can i get the customs stamps. Where can i get the refund?

If i buy goods in Paris, France , where can i get the customs stamps. Where can i get the refund?

Where is the final stop for me to obtain my tax refund?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tax refund: London > Paris> Rome

The refund paperwork for all the purchases is dealt with at Glasgow Airport when you depart there - just as described in the previous posts on this forum

Edited: 06 May 2014, 06:56
7. Re: Tax refund: London > Paris> Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 05:17