We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rentalcars.com Beware!

Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
rentalcars.com Beware!

Sorry if this has been covered in other topics but just wanted to share our recent experience with rentalcars.com

We rented a car from Newcastle to drive around the lake district. After much scrutineering using several sites we went with rentalcars.com because they ostensibly did not charge a young drivers fee and included all local taxes.

We handed over via card what we thought was the total amount for the car rental only to discover when we picked up the car that we would need to hand over an additional £90. We originally thought the whole rental would cost approximately £60 so this was quite a shock.

We've contacted rentalcars.com twice on their website but with no reply.

I would strongly recommend not going with this website if you're booking a car. Their app claimed that what we were paying the whole rental price online but in reality we ended up paying more than double what we anticipated and our complaints fell on deff ears.

As we are tourists it seems that there are few options for holding rentalcars.com accountable.

Polegate, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rentalcars.com Beware!

I totally agree with you, if you are reading this PLEASE AVOID THIS COMPANY.

My son booked a hire car to collect in Cancun, his BA flight was delayed by 2hours from Gatwick so they classed him as a no show and he lost all,his money and then had to pay again for another car, not the best experience to start your holiday off.

When booking you fill out your flight number so they can track it, so they could see there was a delay, terrible service and non existent help.

AVOID A TOTAL SCAM

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rentalcars.com Beware!

Hopefully you can claim from your credit card company as I've never heard of a no show for car rental at an airport, or certainly not just a couple of hours late, unless that means he was arriving after their offices shut? Is there some other info like that you are leaving out?

Also, this should really be in the Cancun forum, I"m assuming rentalcars.com did not provide the car they are just the agency so the start of the problem is whoever the local car rental company is.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rentalcars.com Beware!

rentalcars.com are a broker, they don't supply cars. If your son had an issue he needed to take it up with the company he had the booking with. Seems ridiculous that he had to pay again.

He should contact customer services of the company who actually supplied the car.

Again the same to the OP. Just tried a dummy booking and in the Terms and Conditions of rental for say Alamo it says

Young drivers aged between 22 and 24 Inclusive pay up to £27.08 + VAT per day All drivers must have held their licence for a minimum period of 1 year(s)

These fees are paid locally. Did you read ALL the T&C'S?? Obviously not.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 09:43
Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rentalcars.com Beware!

I agree!

I made my booking on the back of a hotel room booking site that they're partnered with. There was no option to change the start / end time of the vehicle booking and it defaulted to the check-in / check-out time of the hotel room.

Therefore when I arrived at the airport it was 3 hours after the time stated. However this was extended as it took myself, and two other couples who'd also made a booking through rental cars, 45 minutes to find their representative who was holding no sign-age or company logo's for either RentalCars or the local company the vehicle was booked through (Orlando). It was only by asking almost every member or staff in the arrivals lounge we eventually found someone who knew him, and he was just stood in a corner on his phone.

When speaking to him he said my car had been cancelled as I was late and walked away! I rang their local office who confirmed it had been cancelled and were adamant there was no way I could have a vehicle that day.

Having sent 8 emails (one on the day I was supposed to collect the vehicle 25/01/2014) I finally received a poorly written email back from them today 20/03/2014, saying they believe there was an issue with the hotel booking's system at the time, but the 100% cancellation fee applies.

Terrible company, no customer service, god knows what would happen if someone actually managed to pick up a car and then had too make a claim!

Avoid!

Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rentalcars.com Beware!

Cute post and thanks for taking the time to look into this.

Actually I did read the T&Cs because I wanted to make sure we weren't being slugged with hidden charges. T&Cs clearly stated that the price was inclusive of local fees and charges. Go figure! I should say that I booked this using their App so maybe that is somehow defective. It's all water under the bridge now, I've learnt my expensive lesson just hope others don't fall into the same trap.

Even if I had been mistaken the company is still deplorable for not replying to either of the 2 messages I sent them (it's impossible to email them directly).

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rentalcars.com Beware!

17 posts -all posted today on this one subject

reported as SPAM

7. Re: rentalcars.com Beware!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:17