We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Northern Ireland, Open to suggestions!

Rock Island...
11 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Northern Ireland, Open to suggestions!

My fiance and I are planning to head to Ireland the first few weeks of June next year (2014). We will have ten days or so and we plan to rent a car and drive ourselves and stay wherever we can that is not crazy expensive (B&Bs). I think I am just going to plan it all myself instead of a company. So I began reading all the forums related to Ireland and have come up with a ROUGH itinerary.

I decided visiting Northern Ireland would meet our needs but we are up for any advice. We do not want to feel like we are in the car the whole time as I will be having to take Dramamine every time I get in:( but I'll do what I have to! We don't really have an agenda. We just want to drive around and see the wonderful scenery Ireland has to offer, visit small towns and cities, castles, as well as pubs to hang out with the locals. This is what I have planned so far (nothing booked yet). Feel free to edit and add!

Arrive in Dublin (morning)

1st & 2nd night: Head north to Rostrevor

(Skipping Belfast for an overnight??)

3rd & 4th night: Portrush/Bushmill

5th night: Londenderry/Derry

6th: Donegal

7th & 8th night: Galway

9th & 10th night: Dublin (We wanted two nights in Dublin at the end to relax and explore the city.)

I'm not sure where to move on and only stay one night or two. I would prefer to stay everywhere two nights because I get car sick and don't want to feel rushed.

Should we try to hit up Galway before heading back to Dublin? We want to stay two nights in Dublin because we left and headed north right away in the beginning of the trip. Thought it would be nice to end there and chill out.

Thanks so much for your help! I appreciate any input:)

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Northern Ireland, Open to suggestions!

There is a lot to see in belfast. I do think it would be a shame to miss it.

Rock Island...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Northern Ireland, Open to suggestions!

Thanks ponaire. I was thinking that driving down to Galway and then over to Dublin might be too much for the tail end of the trip. Maybe we should just add 1-2 nights in Belfast instead and hit up the West/South next time!!!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Northern Ireland, Open to suggestions!

"next time"... - now you're talking! :) You've been reading how many people return then! In that case, you could spend a couple of nights in Dublin at the start instead of at the end as you don't need (or want!) a car there. That allows you to go rest and get over jetlag before driving. If you prefer to drive north straight away, the road to belfast is motorway all the way - or if you decide to take in the likes of newgrange (older than the pyramids), you could overnight around drogheda which is heading north.

By the way -many congratulations!

As you seem to be wanting to relax and take in the scenery, you could also consider a night in the glens of antrim. BobbyW (a regular contributor and black taxi driver) recommends meadow park b and b in cushendall which is on the coast road. I love cushendun as a village and there is a little cottage i think called fisherman's cottage at the harbour (self-catering). Either of those options would break up the causeway coastal drive and allow time for carrickfergus castle and enjoying the glens of antrim. Most people head straight to the causeway but there are some lovely off the beaten track areas to explore.

I'm on my mobile so can't send links but check out the causeway coast and glens website, northcoastni website and the heartoftheglens pdf file.

In donegal I personally love an grianan ailigh ringfort, the poisoned glen and glenveagh area, nd ardara area (we hired a rowing boat to see doon fort which doesn"t take much time but was a quirky off the beaten track thing to do.

Great beaches all along the north coast/causeway area and donegal for romantic evening strolls.. you'll have long days so if you have good weather, make the most of it!

Edited: 14 December 2013, 07:54
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Northern Ireland, Open to suggestions!

Final bit of advice for now - take as many days as you can. If that means b&bs the whole time or just one splurge night, then do it! We have lots of really good b&bs but in a city like Belfast, there are really good budget hotels. My favourite is Premier Inn cathedral quarter. I always use TA reviews to choose accommodation (you know to suss out the one hit wonder reviews) and it's never let me down yet!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Northern Ireland, Open to suggestions!

Final bit of advice for now - take as many days as you can. If that means b&bs the whole time or just one splurge night, then do it! We have lots of really good b&bs but in a city like Belfast, there are really good budget hotels. My favourite is Premier Inn cathedral quarter. I always use TA reviews to choose accommodation (you know to suss out the one hit wonder reviews) and it's never let me down

yet!

Also if you don't mind eating early, lots of good restaurants do early bird dinner specials which are great value.

6. Re: Honeymoon in Northern Ireland, Open to suggestions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2014, 05:18