We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will we have enough time before our flight leaves?

Newton Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
will we have enough time before our flight leaves?

hello!

my wife and i will be traveling from Paris to London via the eurostar then to Heathrow to catch our flight back home to the Us.

the eurostar gets in at 930 and our flight leaves at 12 50.

the plan is to call a cab once off of the eurostar to take us to the Paddington station, then take the Heathrow express to the airport. our flight leaves from terminal 4 at 12:50

realistically do we have enough time for all this to work out?

this will be our first time over seas.

thanks in advance everybody

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,955 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: will we have enough time before our flight leaves?

The best idea would be to fly home from Paris.

I'm not sure what the logic would be in taking a train to then catch a cab to then catch a (ridiculously expensive) train to then board a flight when there is a perfectly serviceable airport just outside Paris.

If that's not an option, in normal circumstances, then you will spend a lot more money and not save much if any time by going to Paddington then getting the HEX rather than simply hopping on the underground which goes directly to the airport.

But in any case, 0930 is more the time you should be looking to arrive at Heathrow, not arrive in central London assuming everything goes to plan. Personally I wouldn't want to be waking up for a 1250 flight in a different country than the flight leaves from.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: will we have enough time before our flight leaves?

my wife and i will be traveling from Paris to London via the eurostar then to Heathrow to catch our flight back home to the Us.

=======

Why?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,013 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: will we have enough time before our flight leaves?

Why not just fly to Heathrow from Paris? Better still add the flight to your existing ticket so you don't have to go through immigration, collect luggage, go through customs, check in your luggage blah blah blah

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: will we have enough time before our flight leaves?

I agree with corncob, I would want to be at the airport by about 0930 for an international flight departing at 1250 (but I am very risk averse). I'm wondering why you are taking the Eurostar to London only to fly away. Do you plan to spend any time there? I can fully understand wanting the experience, it just seems like a lot of expense and potentially risks you missing your flight if there are delays, including any delays at check-in/bag drop or security at Heathrow.

If your plans are set and you cannot change them WRT bookings for the train and flights etc., then make sure you have good travel insurance that might offset any additional expenses incurred (whether any of them provide coverage for these circumstances will be in the fine print).

Have you seen the TFL Journey Planner? …tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2…

Using a dummy date of next March and a departure time of 1000 hours this shows me an hour trip to Heathrow Terminal 3 (not sure where you would be departing from) using the Heathrow Express. Using the Piccadilly line shows me a journey time of about 1 hour 10 mins.

Can you change your return flight and have a couple of days in London before flying home or possibly take the Eurostar a day earlier?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,354 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: will we have enough time before our flight leaves?

I have to agree with the other posters. You should allow more time for a comfortable and worry free journey if you do have to go to Heathrow to return to the US. It would be far easier to simply fly back from Paris, particularly as the rail journey is not particularly interesting or scenic.

If flying really isn't an option, then you may as well travel straight to Heathrow on the Underground rather than faff about with getting a cab just to catch an expensive train to the airport. As has been said already, this won't be much faster and will be a hell of a lot more expensive.

Ideally, the usual advice is to aim to arrive at Heathrow at around 3 hours before an international flight leaves. This will provide a bit of a buffer in case of delays during the journey to Heathrow, or in this case, a late running train into London.

uk
Level Contributor
916 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: will we have enough time before our flight leaves?

Hello !

St, Pancras to Paddington is about 15 minutes, Heathrow Express from Paddington to Heathrow is 20 minutes, if you factor in the walking etc, then you will get to Heathrow (Depending on which terminal you fly from), around an hour from the time your Eurostar arrives in St. Pancras.

So you will be fine.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,013 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: will we have enough time before our flight leaves?

< So you will be fine. >

If nothing goes wrong.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,338 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: will we have enough time before our flight leaves?

But Paddington to Terminal 4 involves a change on the Heathrow Express at Heathrow Central so the journey will be nearer 30 minutes.

In which case, Piccadilly Line from Kings Cross to T4 will be just a few minutes longer and considerably cheaper

I agree with other posters, you should be flying back to the US from Paris, not going by this convoluted route. You won't see any of London and you are running a high risk of missing check-in if there are Eurostar delays (not unknown)

I wouldn't dream of doing this and you should try to change your plans. If not, then best of luck

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,013 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: will we have enough time before our flight leaves?

You are involving three different types of transport, crossing the borders into another country, there are half a dozen flights that would get you to Heathrow before the train / cab / train.

If things go wrong - and they do - then you could be looking at buying last minute one way tickets home which won't be cheap.

At the very least get the first possible flight to Heathrow, or consider travelling to London the day before, both will give you options if things start going wrong.

Best option is to buy a ticket where you fly home from Paris - even if it takes you via Heathrow

uk
Level Contributor
916 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: will we have enough time before our flight leaves?

Yes, i agree, it would be better to fly from Paris, sure, but i am guessing the tickets are booked, i would presume.

Yes, the underground would be the same time difference, and considerably cheaper, good luck anyway, it will be fine i am sure, even if you do sweat a bit :)