We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Instant issue debit cards and ATMs

San Diego...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Instant issue debit cards and ATMs

My debit card was impacted by the recent security breach here in the US and my credit union suggests replacing it as I'm headed to the UK next week. However, they can only issue an "instant issue/flat" card meaning there are no raised #s on it. They indicated there may be a problem using ATMs in England with this type of card. Has anyone had problems with that or alternately had no problem using an ATM in England with a "flat" card? Thanks so much.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,285 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Instant issue debit cards and ATMs

"flat" means you can only use the card in situations where immediate online verification is provided. So you won't be able to use it for eg on-train ticket purchases, or any other card machine that's not online to the merchant network.

Similar restrictions apply to Maestro / Electron and similar cards in the UK so it's not a situation unique to your US card.

ATMs should be fine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Instant issue debit cards and ATMs

I used to have one of these when I was 16 and didn't have a proper bank account.

It worked fine for ATMs but you couldn't pay for anything on it in a shop.

I am UK based though so I don't know if it would be different coming from the US. What type of card is it?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Instant issue debit cards and ATMs

It needs either a mag stripe or a chip to be usable in the UK. Whether the figures are embossed or printed is irrelevant.

San Diego...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Instant issue debit cards and ATMs

Thanks for the assistance. I just needed to be sure I'd be able to access ATMs while in the UK and it sounds like I won't have a problem with that.

Edited: 20 December 2013, 20:42
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Instant issue debit cards and ATMs

Bring a second card just in case.

6. Re: Instant issue debit cards and ATMs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2014, 05:17