We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip from London to Wales to Scotland

Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip from London to Wales to Scotland

My friend and I are traveling from London to Wales to Scotland for 3 weeks in September 2014.

Here's our rough itinerary:-

Day 1-3 - London

Day 3 - Collect motorhome and drive to Bath

Day 4 - Drive to Abergavenny

Day 5 - Drive to Brecon Beacon

Day 7 - Drive to Snownodia

Day 11 - Drive to Lake District

Day 13 - Drive to Glasgow

Day 15 - Drive to Ben Nevis

Day 16 - Drive to Staffin

Day 19 - Drive to Inverness

Day 21 - Marathon

Day 22 - Drive to Glasgow Airport

We planned to do these:

1. Roman remains in bath and Chepstow & Raglan & Caerwent

2. Climbing/ Rafting/ Hiking/ waterfalls

I'm hoping we won't be too tired from all those driving so that we won't skipped the activities planned. And I thought it would be a good idea to get a motorhome as oppose to a car + B&Bs.

Any advice is welcome.

Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip from London to Wales to Scotland

I'd say that looks quite an ambitious itinerary with a lot of activity in the "taper" weeks before a marathon when ideally you will be resting up and reserving energy. Depends on your priorities of course. It's "doable" although I would have one day less in Snowdonia and spend it in the Lake District; also you'll not have much time in Bath which you may regret when you see how lovely it is (there's a lot more to it than the Roman Baths).

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,280 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip from London to Wales to Scotland

Hi,

This is a long journey and in a motorhome, depending on how big it is, will be tiring and expensive.

Lots of motorhome hirers give you a certain number of "free" miles per day and you then pay a certain sum per mile (as well as your fuel costs).

I assume you want to see the waterfalls around Ystradfelte. These are fantastic but the roads to them are narrow and hilly. A motorhome will cope but it will take a lot of enjoyment out of the drive, especially if you then drive to the Beacons.

I have a great route for your consideration from Brecon to Snowdonia if you are in a car but it is not suitable for a motorhome.

It is of course your holiday and your decision

Bob

Edited: 28 December 2013, 17:24
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip from London to Wales to Scotland

Hi Bob

I decide on a motorhome for it's convenience to stop anywhere i want (hopefully) and take a coffee break :)

Most likely we will settle for a 2/3 berth motorhome.

Abt the cost efficiency, that needs some decisions on what we would like to achieve on this trip.

We both have never driven a motorhome, stay for days in the vehicle and yet to cook for the entire trip.

Do share abt the routes from Brecons to Snownodia. At the moment i'm thinking of via Oswestry which takes abt 4hrs ( correct me if i'm wrong).

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,234 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip from London to Wales to Scotland

The closest camping site in Bath is Newton Mill: www.newtonmillpark.co.uk

It's actually on the edge of Bath about 2.5 miles from the city centre.

If you stayed there you would have to get the #5 bus into the centre which stops close by. You don't want to be driving in and out of Bath with a motorhome to do your sightseeing!

Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip from London to Wales to Scotland

Hi Miles

It's only 10km hahaha besides we do give ourselves a full day rest before the marathon.

I might do a day less in brecon instead of Snowdonia to have that extra day in Bath.

London
Level Contributor
9,939 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip from London to Wales to Scotland

I don't know of anybody in the UK that hires motor homes on a one way basis. Have you already found a supplier who will do this?

Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip from London to Wales to Scotland

Thanks Matt for your recommendation

And you're right, I don't wanna drive my huge machine around town

Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip from London to Wales to Scotland

Hi rcspeirs

That's a tough bit to literally ask almost ALL hire company if they do one way.

And after tonnes of emails, I've found two that allow one way.

Also not sure how reputable and trustworthy they are.

Have you by any chance would like to recommend hiring company that do a one way trip?

Edited: 28 December 2013, 18:11
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,280 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip from London to Wales to Scotland

Hi again,

For a really interesting drive but not really suitable if you your motorhome is bigger than about a Transit van,

From Brecon take B4520 North and just after upper Chapel fork left on to B4519 to Garth. Go West on A483 for a few miles to Beulak. Take minor road through to Abergwesyn (through some fords if the river is high) and then Tregaron. Some of the hills on this road are 1 in 4. From Tregaron take B4343 to Devil's Bridge, then A44 and A470 to Llanidloes followed by B4518 to Tafolwern. Rejoin A470 to Betws-y-Coed or wherever you want in Snowdonia.

It will take more than 4 hours but is a really scenic drive.

Bob

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,234 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip from London to Wales to Scotland

I used to live down the road from Newton Mill campsite in Bath. You won't find anything closer to Bath than that one.

As for Ben Nevis - try this: www.glen-nevis.co.uk/campsite/

Stayed there many years ago with my family in our touring caravan. You can hire mountain bikes in the centre of Fort William. The campsite is more or less at the bottom of Ben Nevis. ;-)