We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route to visit London, Paris, Ireland and Scotland

Grand Cayman
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Route to visit London, Paris, Ireland and Scotland

I'm flying in / out of London (Heathrow) and have three weeks to visit London, Paris, Ireland and Scotland in August. What would be the best route to take and do you think this is realistic? I'm traveling with my mom (in her 50's) and two kids (3 and 11).

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route to visit London, Paris, Ireland and Scotland

When is your trip?

Most people suggest getting a open-jaw plane ticket: fly in to London and out of Paris. But if you already booked you flights ???

You can get the Eurostar train from London to Paris.

Book your tickets asap for the cheapest fares and so it doesn't sell out when you want to travel.

www.eurostar.com

Have you looked into how you will get around for the rest of your trip?

Look at www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times and fares in the UK and book with the suggested train operating company. Don't buy train tickets from any 3rd party company like trainline or raileasy who will charge you credit and debit card booking fees, unlike the train operating company's.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route to visit London, Paris, Ireland and Scotland

Yep, your first problem is that you are flying into and out of London and then wanting to go to three places in completely different directions. Would make much more sense to fly into Dublin or Edinburgh then go via London to Paris before flying home from Paris.

If you have not yet booked your flights or can change them , consider the above.

You have mentioned two cities, London and Paris, which is straightforward enough, but then two countries in Scotland and Ireland. So, what do you mean by 'visit Scotland and Ireland' - go to Edinburgh and Dublin, or more than that? If it's the latter, then two weeks starts to look like not enough time. How do you plan to get around if that's the case?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route to visit London, Paris, Ireland and Scotland

"How do you plan to get around if that's the case?"

Well, it definitely isn't possible by car!

Back to the drawing board......

Grand Cayman
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Route to visit London, Paris, Ireland and Scotland

I'm going for 3 weeks and the reason I was flying through London is because there is a direct flight to / from the Cayman Islands where I live. I plan to go to Donegal in Ireland and actually had no specific place in mind for Scotland.

I was thinking of flying mostly from the main areas.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,157 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route to visit London, Paris, Ireland and Scotland

Well, then it is down to you to research flights to "here, there and everywhere"!

If you plan to use low cost carriers, then check the luggage restrictions VERY carefully, and comply.

Remember that each time you change destination, you give over a full day (or half a day at best) to travel, by the time you have packed, checked out, travelled to airport IN GOOD TIME (3 hours ahead) for flight, hung about, flown, collected luggage (if necessary), got from airport to hotel 'somehow' checked in, unpacked, fell over, thatkindathing....

3 weeks MAYbe enough, with 4 major changes of venue, but depends what you want to do and where you want to visit, after that....

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route to visit London, Paris, Ireland and Scotland

It's quicker and less hassle to get the train from London to Paris, and back!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,868 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Route to visit London, Paris, Ireland and Scotland

< because there is a direct flight to / from the Cayman Islands where I live. >

Or with one change Dublin, Edinburgh & Paris. You could have booked Cayman Islands to Paris via London then used low costs airlines to fly Paris-Edinburgh, Edinburgh-Dublin & Dublin-London before flying back to the Cayman Islands. I'd see if you can add a London-Paris leg to your ticket.

As for Edinburgh - it's FestivalS season - if you aren't interested in 30,000 plus performers taking over the place for a month then avoid Edinburgh in August

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,898 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route to visit London, Paris, Ireland and Scotland

Is it too late to amend your air tickets to fly in to Dublin and out of Paris (or vice versa)? This will save you some valuable time and avoid needless backtracking to London.

My preference would definitely be to fly to Dublin, take the coach to Donegal, then fly to Glasgow for onward travel to wherever I wanted to go in Scotland. To get to London I would use train or plane depending on where I was and the cost of each. Then it's Eurostar to Paris and then fly home.

Although conencting flights can be tiresome, it's far better to spend a few hours en route than having to spend extra days then getting to and from where you want to go.

9. Re: Route to visit London, Paris, Ireland and Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 05:18