We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Trip-Suggestions Wanted

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Trip-Suggestions Wanted

Hi all, my husband and I along with my brother and sister in law are traveling to the UK in late May-early June. We are all in our mid-20's and this will be the first visit for two of us. My husband and his brother have family in London and have been to visit but not in the past 8-10 years. I've planned plenty of trips in the United States but feel completely out of my element with this trip so please offer suggestions/critiques.

We have two weeks and this is really the only time that works for us unless we wanted to go in late July which seems like a bad idea just from reading some of these topics. I've planned for 3 days in Scotland, concentrating in Edinburgh with possibly a day at St. Andrews since my husband is a golf lover. Then 6 days in England, primarily in London. We will probably spend 2 of these days with his family in Redding and will most likely stay with family for some nights as well. We would also like to try and do 2-3 days in Paris. Plus 2 days of travel time to/from the states.

We'd like to do a mixture of tourist and non-touristy things. Since two of us have never been, we'd like to hit the main sights and see them but I don't want to drag my husband to only things that he has seen before. He is a huge Manchester United fan so is a day trip to see the stadium reasonable? Does anyone have any recommendations on which tour to do of the stadium?

Does $5000-$7000 USD seem like a reasonable budget for two people? We will be flying out from the East Coast, either Atlanta or Charlotte, NC and flights seem to be about $1100 per person.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Trip-Suggestions Wanted

Hello!

I'm not going to make lots of suggestions yet, but a couple of pointers.

Many people on here would suggest a good guidebook as a starting point. Make a list of what you want to do, discuss with your partner what he has / hasn't done before and what he wouldn't mind going again, and then put it on a map for a basic plan. We can help much more then.

Can we have budgets in pounds sterling please :-) thanks.

You might want to consider flying into Edinburgh and out of Paris or London. It'll be easier than arriving into London and trying then to get up to Scotland. The number of days in each place is pretty whistle-stop but it depends what you want to do.

Yes you could get a train from Edinburgh or Glasgow down past some pretty scenery to Manchester, and then see the stadium and stay overnight in Manchester before continuing on to London or Reading. It would take most of a day. In my opinion you might want to reconsider Paris for more time in Scotland / the North but that's just me.

Have fun!!

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Trip-Suggestions Wanted

What is your budget in Pounds (and if you are also going to Paris - what amount are you allocating for that in Euros) ? Dollars are failry meaningless

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Trip-Suggestions Wanted

Are you interested in just cities, or countryside as well? You could swap Paris for a few days in the countryside somewhere. Though I'm sure a couple of days in Paris would be a fine way to end your trip.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,444 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Trip-Suggestions Wanted

Welcome Wright. Counting your days I made it 16 but you say you have only 2 weeks (14). And the 16 didn't include travel between the countries ie Scotland to London (England) or London to Paris.

3 days in Edinburgh with one of those going to St Andrews leaves 2 days, not long enough to get to Skye and back.

4 days in London (because you are going to Reading for 2) and your friends you might go to are where? Would they not want some of your time?

I think you need first to look at each place and what you would like to see, how long that would take you.

Allowing 2 days flying to/from US to UK - 1 day travel Scotland to London - 1 day London to Paris - 2 days in Reading. Out of 14 (two weeks) that leaves 8 days to plan in Scotland, London and Paris.

I wonder if it is better to brave the crowds in July when the weather is good and you can do all the things you want. Though end of May is a lovely time of year.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Trip-Suggestions Wanted

Budget is about 3050-4300 GBD. I've found flights into Edinburgh and out of Paris for about 670 GBD. I'd prefer to just to London/Scotland but our traveling partners would like to do Paris. We may just plan to London together and then part ways so we can each do what we want and maximize our time/money.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Trip-Suggestions Wanted

We are interested in both city and countryside. I had considered adding one of the isles to our trip but just from reading some reviews, it doesn't seem like we will have enough time and the time we do have would be better spent exploring one area rather than driving all over the country.

Sue, I figured travel from Edinburgh to London could possibly be done on an overnight train. We didn't plan on going to Skye this trip because of the limited time we would have in Scotland. Even if we eliminated Paris and did an extra day in Scotland we would probably still skip Skye. This probably will not be our only trip to the UK so I don't feel the need to hit everything.

7. Re: First Time Trip-Suggestions Wanted

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 05:20