We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in the UK

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
8 days in the UK

My husband and I will have 8 days in the UK during the last week of March. We're flying in to London on Saturday evening and out via Dublin a week from Sunday. Neither of us have traveled to the UK before and were planning initially on just splitting the time between London and Dublin and taking the train and ferry between the two. It just occurred to me, though that our time could also be used to see a lot of the countryside. The problem is that I have no real idea how to balance the two or which one would be best for us. My husband is an archaeologist and museum guy. I'm much more interested in just soaking in the different cultures, so we usually do a bit of both. His must-see is the British Museum. I'd like to at least set foot in Wales. Because neither of us have ever been to the UK or Ireland before, we're a little overwhelmed with all of the potential options and would love to hear from you experienced British travelers. Oh...and we'd prefer not to rent a car if possible...

Thoughts, anyone?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,909 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in the UK

With eight days to visit Dublin and London, you will lose a full day if you travel by ferry and rail. Some visitors might look to eight days in London and think it sufficient time to scratch the surface; others will think three or four days quite enough.

Aer Lingus fly from DUB to CDF, so you could make that journey and from Cardiff book the train to London Paddington. Have a look at EI's timetables and fares along with rail information at www.nationalrail.co.uk You and your husband will need to decide what's important for *you* to see and do and consider logistics thereafter.

If you do decide to travel by air from the RoI to Wales then take the train to London, you should book fairly soon. If you would like advice about hotels in London, please let us know your budget in pounds (euro is the currency in the RoI).

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,965 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days in the UK

If you take the train and ferry from London to Dublin it goes through North wales as the ferry departs from Holyhead, and the train journey along the North Wales coast is stunning as it does literally run along the coast.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days in the UK

Thanks for the info! We were thinking the train and ferry would be a part of the experience itself, not a loss of time, per se, and it sounds like this may be the case. I know it's a really broad question and I'm definitely am working on researching things. This'll be the final stop on our way home from Cambodia and was more of an afterthought made possible by flight routes than an intentional destination so the idea that I have 8 days to experience the UK is still pretty overwhelming and I'm finding it hard to pick where to start. Everything sounds worth visiting!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 days in the UK

By the way, Ireland is not part of the UK. It is a separate country which uses a different currency to the UK

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 days in the UK

Yeah...thanks. I remembered to note the distinction in my first post. For clarification, we have 8 days in the British Isles.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 days in the UK

The express trains that run along the North Wales coast will not stop at Conwy but if you could switch to a stopping train and spend an hour or two there it would be rewarding if your ticket allows such a move (Conwy is a request stop so you need to inform the train manager).

7. Re: 8 days in the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:18