We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gathering ideas for 12 days driving around England

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Gathering ideas for 12 days driving around England

Hi there, we are travelling to London in September and will be renting a car for 12 days. We will be renting car and returning to Southhampton. Going clockwise we are thinking of visiting Cardiff, Manchester, Durham ( heritage family search) etc.... Are B&B's the best way to go? How far should we look at comfortably doing each day and still see lots ??

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gathering ideas for 12 days driving around England

Road trips like that really don't suit the UK. The roads are jammed, often very boring slogs and accommodation better booked in advance.

I'd figure a small number of bases and avoid a lot of driving

Skala Kallonis...
Level Contributor
56 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gathering ideas for 12 days driving around England

We did a similar trip last year by train though, I knew where & for how long I was heading for in each place so I'd booked all my accommodation well in advance (through the Travelodge chain): if you want to read my trip report, as I'm sure it will help you, as we did "lots" of things also, it is called "18 days around the UK on a budget" on the TA forums.

We also stopped in Cardiff for 3 days (well recommended) & also had a quick stop in Manchester, among many other places along the way. I hope it is of some help to you!

Skala Kallonis...
Level Contributor
56 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gathering ideas for 12 days driving around England

You can read my trip report here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186216-i15-k70035…

I hope it is of some use to you!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gathering ideas for 12 days driving around England

Hi Cathie,

I'm doing much the same from the start of June till mid July, with a friend who lives un the UK. I have an idea that we leave London, head to the cotswold's and up to Telford area. (We have been invited to stay with friends there). Then up to Manchester onto York. Edinburgh a loop around through Perth to Glasgow, back down to the Lakes District, then a very direct route to Holly head for the trip over to Dublin. Looking at 5-7 days doing a loop around Ireland returning back into Wales via Pembrook, into Cardiff then across to London. Sounds impressive ? Not sure it will work, we will have 3 weeks to do this. I know I'm asking a lot of my friend, she is keen, though she is in her 70'S and I'm hitting 60. The main question I have been asking my self is do I want to see a lot of a small area or a little of the lot. A little of a lot has one. I've. Studied trafalgar tours and of the beaten track tours and anything I could get my hands on to pick the way and things to see. We intend to stay in pub/ inn accommodation where possible. If you or anyone can give me ideas or direct me in any way I would appreciate the help. Thanks Dianne

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gathering ideas for 12 days driving around England

You are better of doing the route the other way round and ending in Cardiff, only a couple of hours from Southampton. Especially if your reason for going to Southampton is to get a cruise ship. Durham is about a six hour drive away. Do you want to stay in the places listed and take day trips or move every day/more often?

Edited: 24 January 2014, 09:34
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,071 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gathering ideas for 12 days driving around England

How many days are you thinking of staying in London if any? That will affect what can be recommended for the remaining days. On the whole most people would recommend choosing two or three bases , book a good B&B in each one and then do trips out from each. London mostly does hotels not B&Bs.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gathering ideas for 12 days driving around England

Hi Dianne and welcome,

If you are travelling by self drive car check first that the car hire company is happy about you taking the car to Ireland.

Bob

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
731 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gathering ideas for 12 days driving around England

London to Cardiff is an easy drive, just head Westwards along the M4, Cardiff to Manchester is once again all motorway, but its a half day drive. Manchester - Durham is a shorter trip over the Pennines, but likely to be at a slower speed. Finally Durham to Southampton is the best part of a days driving. They are all achievable in a day, most in far less, but the one that would concern me the most is Durham to Southampton, it involves skirting the edge of London and is the most likely to have a delay, if you have a definite time to be in Southampton, it might be an idea to do part of the journey a day earlier.

With regard to accommodation, B&B's are by their nature very variable, ranging from very good to just "allright" You might be better if you are on a budget looking at one of our value chains such as Premier Inn, at least you have a reasonable guarantee of what you will get.

9. Re: Gathering ideas for 12 days driving around England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 06:19