We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 full days for United Kingdom

Florissant, Colorado
3 posts
Save Topic
3 full days for United Kingdom

My wife and I get into Heathrow (T5) Approximately 1800 on June 2 fly out of Heathrow (T5) Approximately 1600 June 6. We will be spending two weeks prior to these dates in Ukraine. We have made this trip several times and have always scheduled an extra-long layover in London to enjoy the city. This time we would like to see and stay in another area other than London. We like seeing old historic structures such as castles and churches, going to museums and seeing the countryside.

1st question-would be recommendations where to go and what to see.

2nd question-would be cheapest and easiest way to travel back and forth.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,917 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 full days for United Kingdom

To fit all those criteria I would say Bath. Easily got to by train. You have the architecture, museums and countryside in one.

Failing that Oxford.

Windsor has the castle and some wonderful countryside walks and is really near.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 full days for United Kingdom

Get the bus straight from Heathrow Terminal 5 straight to Oxford direct.

airline/oxfordbus.co.uk

You will find a city with a castle, churches and college chapels, beautiful architecture from the 11th century onwards, outstanding free museums and the countryside on your doorstep. A short bus ride to Woodstock and Blenheim Palace and plenty of parks and meadowland within a short walk of the city.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,921 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 full days for United Kingdom

Bath and Bristol - you could even fit in a short trip to Avebury. ;-)

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 full days for United Kingdom

As Heathrow is West of London then it makes sense to stay at a city somewhere on the West side of London.

Windsor would be the nearest and easiest to get to, and it has Eton school alongside it, a famous historic school were your parents have to put your name down at birth, and a number of our Prime Minsters (including our current one) have been to.

As others have said Bath or Oxford would also fit the bill but they are a little further (but still not a huge distance away).

Another option is Portsmouth, South of Heathrow and at the seaside. It is a nice historic town, home to the British navy for hundreds of years, with some fine old ships and buildings to look round, and in June it will be quite pleasant.

http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 full days for United Kingdom

discoverthegardenofengland.com/places-to-vis…

An hour or less from the airport you could base yourself in somewhere like Sevenoaks or Tunbridge Wells and tour the castles , stately homes and gardens of Kent and Sussex.

Most are set out of towns in the countryside so a hire / rental car would be the answer.

Florissant, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 full days for United Kingdom

After I read your post I got online and look at Bath and Oxford and they both seem like excellent choices. Is Bath large enough to fill three days of site seeing or would we need to go into Bristol and maybe Cardiff? Is there a particular train that travels late in the evening that you would recommend.

Florissant, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 full days for United Kingdom

I had never heard of Avebury before but it looks very interesting. Would I need to plan for an entire day in Avebury or just a few hours and how is the best way to get there from Bath or Bristol?

Do you have any suggestions on whether it's better to stay in Bath for Bristol?

8. Re: 3 full days for United Kingdom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 06:18