We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting England/Scotland Road trip Itinerary help

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting England/Scotland Road trip Itinerary help

Hi,

My Husband and I are planning a trip to England and Scotland in July. I want to see as much as we can, but also quality over quantity. I want to enjoy and get a feel for the places we visit. I have put together an itinerary but am worried about length of time/feeling rushed in each place. Any advice would be great.

Our interests are history, nature-beautiful scenery-the outdoors, city life (dining out, shopping, lounges).

Day 1- Arrive in London (spend night)

Day 2- London (spend night)

Day 3- London (spend night)

Day 4- London (spend night

Day 5- London (spend night)*pick up rental car

Day 6- Cotswolds: Drive from London to Costwolds (spend night in Cotswolds)

Day7-York: Drive from Cotswolds to York (spend night in York)

Day 8-Loch Lomond: Drive from York to Loch Lomond stopping to visit fountains abbey on the way (spend night in Loch Lomond)

Day 9- Loch Lomond (spend night)

Day 10- Glenfinnan: Loch lomond-to-Glen Coe-to-Eilean Donan-to-Glenfinnan (spend night glenfinnan)

Day 11- Edinburgh: Glenfinnan-Edinburgh (drop rental car off-spend night in Edinburgh)

Day 12- Edinburgh (spend night)

Day 13- Edinburgh (spend night)

Day 14- Fly home from Edinburgh

Let me know any suggestions you have or if you see any areas of concern or great places I am missing.

Thank you.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,526 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting England/Scotland Road trip Itinerary help

You appear to be missing York for a start as you have sandwiched it in as an overnight stop between two days where you have somewhere in the region of 10 or 11 hours of driving. Doesn't leave much time for actually seeing York, which is a destination in itself, or the surrounding area.

Likewise, the drive up to Glenfinnan just for the sake of driving back to Edinburgh. That at least has the merits of being in parts a beautiful drive which can't be said for the motorways that you'll be mainly on between The Cotswolds and York. But there's not a lot of time left for detouring or actually getting out of the car.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,983 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting England/Scotland Road trip Itinerary help

Day 8 does not work. Fountains Abbey usually fills half a day or a full day and then to drive all the way to Loch Lomond does not add up to me. I think you need at least one extra night in Yorkshire

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting England/Scotland Road trip Itinerary help

you say you want quality over quantity, then come up with an itinerary more like a rally driving challenge,! seriously, you need to cut places out or add a week.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting England/Scotland Road trip Itinerary help

Do you think I should cut York out altogether and take a train from London to Glasgow and rent a car from there to Loch Lomond? If we do that I can stay two nights in Glennfinan instead of one. Or is York and surrounding area a "must see" in your opinion? Thank you for the advice!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting England/Scotland Road trip Itinerary help

York and the North York Moors and surrounding area are lovely but at the moment they are playing havoc with your timetable. The middle section is mostly travelling - you will not have time to stop to see either York or Fountains. The train up to Scotland would be a more pleasant option, but it depends rather on if you want to see Scotland or Yorkshire most.

Just don't attempt it as it is - seriously all you will see are roads - driving in the UK can take longer than you think and isn't always stress free. If you want to get an idea of driving times, use the AA route planner http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting England/Scotland Road trip Itinerary help

I think you'll have to give York the flick. My suggested schedule would be

Day 1 to 4 as planned

Day 5 full day in London

Day 6 get fairly early train to Oxford or Cheltenham Spa. Pick up hire car. If you choose Oxford give yourself a few hours to see the city. The walking tours are good. Drive to your Cotswolds destination.

Day 7 full day in the Cotswolds.

Day 8 return hire car. Get train from Oxford/Cheltenham to Glasgow, arriving early evening. Spend night in Glasgow

Day 9 pick up hire car. Tour Loch Lomond, Glenfinnan etc. Unless you can give yourself an extra day up here you'll probably have to compromise on your Scottish itinerary. Given your interests, perhaps spend 1 day less in London and use it here.

Day 10 bit more touring. Return hire car at Crianlarich. Train from Crianlarich to Edinburgh - about 3 hours. Evening in Edinburgh

Day 11 on as planned.

As we say over here, let the train take the strain. I'm used to driving in the UK but even so I find 4 to 6 hours of driving a day is enough for me. If I was unsure of the roads and driving on the 'wrong' side of the road, I'd be horrified by the 10+ hours a day you are contemplating.

PS No idea if there is a car hire depot at Crianlarich, I just note it has a railway station.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 15:32
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,983 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting England/Scotland Road trip Itinerary help

In your original plan you have chosen four of the best locations in the UK, London, Cotswolds, Yorkshire and Scotland and on the face of it four in fourteen days sounds fine. But in fact three would work out better and it comes down to a choice , I would think, between the Cotswolds and Yorkshire. I think in terms of simple logistics you could do London, York and trips out into Yorkshire and finally Scotland. London to York is an easy direct two hour train journey and then later York to Edinburgh is the same.

When in London you can also do day trips by train to Windsor or Cambridge or Oxford or Canterbury and more too , all within one hour or less from central London stations. Bath is about 90 minutes away but still possible as a day trip..

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting England/Scotland Road trip Itinerary help

No idea if there is a car hire depot at Crianlarich, I just note it has a railway station.

---

Very unlikely, its a very small village

9. Re: Visiting England/Scotland Road trip Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 06:20