We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from London to the Lake District

North Liberty, Iowa
3 posts
Save Topic
How to get from London to the Lake District

I am looking for an alternative way to get from London to Windermere on 4/21/14. I have been looking at the train, buy unfortunately the price on that day and weekend is about $156 and on other days it is a low as $58. Are there any other, less costly ways to get there or a train website that I have not looked at? I know a bus will cost much less, but it will also take about 9 hours compaired to the 3 hours on the train.

Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,057 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from London to the Lake District

You are looking to travel on Easter Monday, when there may be planned works on the lines, that information has not yet been made available by the train operating companies. Also, with every departure from Euston showing the Off Peak fare of £99, I don't think Virgin have loaded fares for travel on that day.

Keep watching www.nationalrail.co.uk over the seven to 10 days, as fares are not released exactly 12 weeks before travel.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,674 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from London to the Lake District

Look specifically for the 'ADVANCE' fare type. If you don't see it, wait until you do.

As TP points out, the fact that you are travelling on a public holiday means that schedules may not yet be finalised. It does also mean that trains will be busy.

Book direct with www.virgintrains.co.uk - through fares to Windermere are available, even though the connecting train from Oxenholme is operated by a different company.

North Liberty, Iowa
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from London to the Lake District

Thank you for the information.

4. Re: How to get from London to the Lake District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:25