We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental cars

Wellington, New...
10 posts
Save Topic
Rental cars

We are planning to travel from Cambridge mid June 2014 through the Lake District up to Scotland the cross from Troon to Belfast down to the Republic and then over to Penbroke then southern England prior to leaving the UK from Heathrow. Would it be best to leave the first rental car at Troon then have a new rental in Ireland the change again when we enter Wales?

London
Level Contributor
9,186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental cars

Yes, separate cars works better. You'd face ferry fees and additional insurance charges to take a UK registered car to Ireland (Republic). That said, I suspect the major rental firms aren't in Troon. You may need to adjust your drop location (Glasgow would be an obvious choice).

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
8,954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental cars

Depends on your perspective and willingness to pay for the convenience. Hertz allow their cars to the Republic so long as you bring them back. I like the ferries and you would have the convenience of not swapping all your stuff about.

But if you decide on a separate car for Ireland I would fly, not ferry. And fly to Dublin, rent a car and take it back to Dublin, renting in Belfast and returning in the Republic also causes problems.

3. Re: Rental cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 05:20